Thread: Oak Workbench Done

Oak Workbench Done

Well, aside from adding the front and end vise along with the dog/holdfast holes, it's done to serve as my assembly table. Chair making purpose will come later with the addition of the above items in the next month or so. It ended up being just shy of 33" wide, 62" long and 3.5" thick.
    image.jpg

I'll use a Record 52 1/2 for the end vise and make a 20" wide front vise using a wood screw that came out of my great grandfathers mill from around 1890.
    image.jpg

If you are interested, here is where I started: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-new-workbench
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Looks very good a bit smaller length wise but wider than the bench I'm trying to build. I have been watching Curtis B you tube channel and spying what he has in his shop. I'm not quite ready to make that jump yet but close!

Nice job James. That looks like one solid and heavy assembly table. Just a few more steps to turn it into a workbench. Pretty cool that you get to incorporate a vise that dates back to your great grand father's interest in lumber. Hopefully you will get to pass it down to the next generation many, many, many projects later!!!

James,

+1 on what Joe wrote. I have a metal vise screw that was in a leg vise in my grandfathers bench, that I hope to use in a workbench of my own someday. Hope to leave it to my own grandchild or son in law.

It is even neater that your wooden screw goes back further in you family than does mine. Very cool.

Very nice work on your bench.

Stew

Reminds me of a girl I used to go with . . . pretty and stout.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks guys, it will be nice to have a solid assembly table again and much needed to finish up my current veneered cabinet project. You can see the lower cabinet in the second photo on the right. I like Curtis's small carving bench.

I recently set up the bench I had as a kid for my two, they enjoy it for sure. I was saving these screws in case I had a problem with the two on my main bench, same family history, but I doubt they will ever fail so why not use one. Hopefully I can pass both benches along someday.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 03-29-2015 at 9:46 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Looks great. Will never fail you.

Mine is similar - made from 125 yr old framing RO recovered from the neighbor's renovation - but a bit longer.

I built a standalone drawer cabinet that fits on the stretchers, with 2 cleats to fit between the stretchers. Fill that with stuff, and the sucker weighs one-half jillion pounds. Will never move, is 15 yrs old.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Looks great to me, and I too love the idea of family heirloom vises. Also impressed that you took only two months and not two years (like me!). Will look forward to progress on your veneered cabinet.

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

You're talking about your first pickup again, aincha?