Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acanthus/Cherub panels

Thanks guys , I appreciate it. Though the leaves appear fragile there is enough behind them to give support .
    And I don't know anything about setting a bar but after doing these I wouldn't mind sitting AT a bar!
    The Woodworking Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Yundt View Post
    Thanks guys , I appreciate it. Though the leaves appear fragile there is enough behind them to give support .
    And I don't know anything about setting a bar but after doing these I wouldn't mind sitting AT a bar!
    I'll drink to that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well mark, I'll bet you have a hard time buttoning your shirt, your chest has to be swelled with pride . . .JoeB

Joe. I am happy they are done . And thank you. But I can't say these are some of my favorite carvings . Actually there are many things about them I don't really care for from a design aspect that bothers me. But with these clients and the designer they used it wasn't something I was about to change considering the past history. They came in , I carved them to what they wanted , and they went out. Every so often there are jobs like this. You do what you have to to get them
    done.
    The Woodworking Studio

Interesting comment Mark and there is "no accounting for taste". I was in the same place when I criticized your good work on those state department things. Some of the features there are most plebeian including stuff that has nothing to do with carving ,like the fluted pilasters with no entasis. The architect is not a classicist ,he is a post modernist who reinterprets stuff. Our government always has to make things have that " touch of the people ", guess we can both be glad they didn't ask you to carve a wooden bath robe hanging on a wooden nail. We both agree that designs we don't like can be well executed.

True!
    But in the case of the State Department pieces they at least were designed by Allan Greenberg . As to Pilasters and entasis they are most commonly done straight sided. No entasis.
    His site showing that and other projects as well as a link to a book he has recently published on classical architecture adds some credibility to the designs.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio