Thread: Guitar - Complete

Blog Entries

Guitar - Complete

So I think the guitar is done (despite my scratching it today). It is assembled, intonated and plays very well. The body is one piece swamp ash with a spalted maple cap. the neck is a MIM Telecaster neck (9.25" radius) that my son was going to use on his own build. He let it languish so I put it to use.

I should have been more careful selecting the top wood as there is an annoying line in it. The guitar is double bound and the swamp ash was dyed a black red (what a pain). I should have just used colored lacquer. The finish is clear Nitrocellulous lacquer. The pickups are Lollar - Imperial Split Coil Humbucker and J-Street at the bridge. I used the SD Switchable tone ring for the HB split coils. There is 4 way switching: HB - both in Series, both in Parallel, and SC. There is a whole bunch of things I'd do differently if doing it again, but overall, i am pretty happy.
    Guitar1.jpgGuitar2.jpgGuitar3.jpgGuitar4.jpgGuitar5.jpgGuitar6.jpgPart of the herd.jpgPlace in the herd.jpg
    I am thinking I'll keep this one. It is lighter than my other Teles (Orig. Tele Custom , 2 G&L's) and has some flexibility with the 4-way and split coils.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Beautiful, Shawn! While the red/black was a pain, it looks very cool. I'm still taken by the spalted. Thanks to your build, I'm now seeing the beauty in it.

I'm a sucker for Teles, Shawn! I have a lot of guitars kicking around, and I can pretty much build myself anything I want. 99% of the time when I'm just playing for me, I pick up the Tele I bought in high school. Strangely enough, despite my preference, I've only ever owned one Tele.

Lollar pickups are a great choice. That thing should sound like a million bucks. I run Lollars in my main strat (again, a high school guitar...LOL). They really made it come alive.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-29-2015 at 7:38 PM.