Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue-up for large cherry countertop

Using the method I describe above in post # 3 - I would actually lay this up one board at a time and one row at a time. Each butt joint would be cut to perfection to fit against its mate. Each row of boards would be milled straight and equally dimensioned. The one in every row that required the most amount of jointing would set the width dimensions for all the rest in that row. Methodical and true. No forcing joints just accurate milling and a sequential easy glue up. No need for any fastenings or joinery at the butts. If the OP is so inclined and has the tools - biscuits or dominos would certainly help to align the face but would not add much to the integrity of the glue up, though would add lots of work and time (of questionable value) to the project.

All the above based on my assumption - with no supporting evidence - that this OP is not working with equipment that will allow for gang ripping of his stock to insure precise milling.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks Sam,

I will probably follow your procedures.

I am working with a 6" jointer, 12 1/2" planar, and a contractors saw. I milled all the lumber and just need to do the glue-up.

Jim