Thread: Card scraper

Card scraper

I've seen many videos as I was looking to refresh my sharpening technique.
    Many different methods! I've sharpened with a flat file at 30 deg with sufficient pressure to produce a burr. I've always thought it worked just fine for general work. If I was flattening a finish I use the squared off edge. I could see where the burnishing tool would problem develop a more uniform and smaller burr - that would be desirable for detail work - like finish flattening.

A couple quick strokes with file and I'm in business.
    What am I missing?

Blog Entries
    I have not put anything but a 90* edge on a card scraper. If your method is working for you I would stick with it. I mill file and stone at 90*. If there is a stubborn previous burr I will stone the faces as well and then roll a hook at 5, 10 and a couple at 15 on a rectangle scraper.

There is a lot of voodoo about card scrapers on the web but, once you find a method you like (and it sounds like you have) I would stick with it. As long as you are scraping up light fluffy shavings, it doesn't rally matter how you got there IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use this method by Michael Petkovich using the tricky card holder perfected by Brian Boggs. Easy peasy.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...d-scraper.aspx

Blog Entries
    +1 for what Robert said!