Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nova, Jet or Oneway?

Blog Entries

Nova, Jet or Oneway?

So I have been studying on lathes for a few weeks now, making some posts here and on the Neander forum. I am making chairs, Welsh Stick Chairs and Windsors. I have been calculating on what work I can/could do with hand tools and where I might be able to use a lathe. I am finding out that just about everyone who makes chairs uses a lathe. I have a constant source of green wood on the property I live on that I would like to be able to make things with.

I started thinking about a used or mini-midi lathe but I have determined that I want to have the flexibility to turn bowls, plates etc. too. Here are some of the lathes I have found locally that I am hoping to find out more about.
    1)A local dealer bought stock from an Atlanta Woodworking Show. They have a General International 25-114QC, 3/4hp motor, speeds 250-800, 550-1700, 1200-3600, this one has a bed extension on it and legs that come with it $994.47.
    2) Woodcraft has: Nova 1624-44 $1399.99, Nova DVR XP $2399.99, Jet 1440s & the popular Jet 1642 $2344.99. I don't think I would go with the Jet 1440 vs a Nova 1624-44 for similar money.
    3) Highland Woodworking has a Oneway 1224 that would represent the max lathe I would consider buying at $2,490.

Looking up the General Lathe it only weights 93lbs which makes me suspicious that it is substantially less machine than the other options and the 15% discount off list does not get me very fired up.

I am probably most interested in the Nova 1624 as I believe it will handle the size spindles I make with it's 24" between centers capacity. I am having a hard time justifying spending another $1,000 to move up to a Jet 1642, Nova DVR or the Oneway 1224. The Oneway machine has a smaller motor than the other options in that price range, but I suspect it is the most sturdily built machine.

Well, if you are considering doing bowls, you have 2 main choices from the above. They would be the Nova DVR, or the Jet 1624. They will be ample for doing bowls, and you would get along better with the 2 hp motors and 220 volt on either. Not absolutely necessary, but if you are doing anything approaching production work, the extra horse power is an advantage. The advantage of the Jet over the Nova DVR is the mass (much heavier), and speed changing. If you do a lot of turning, and switch back and forth from bowls to spindles, then variable speed is way better than the Reeves drive on the Jet 1442 or pulleys on the Nova 1624. The Nova DVR has a very slow ramp up/ramp down speed change button. You can do several 'preset' speed selections. The Jet has a 3 phase motor and you just twist a knob. Much easier. I also prefer the sliding headstock on the Jet to the pivoting one on the Nova. If you are doing legs and chair parts, you may want more than 24 between centers. The DVR has bed sections you can add on, and the Jet is pretty much long enough as is.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    My main interest at this point in time is making chairs with green wood. I am also interested in making spoons, bowls and plates/platters. I am very interested in working with hand tools. There are many hand tool guys who make bowls with hand tools and I am sure I will want to try that too. For now turning is more a means to an end than my main interest. I suppose that could change, which is why I am not looking at smaller lathes with an extension. The leg stock I have at the moment is around 24"x2x2 red oak. I think Woodcraft is going to let me try out a blank or two on their floor models.

I just talked to Highland and they apparently sold off their Oneway floor models. I could still order a lathe through them but at this point they apparently are not stocking them. Sounds like the smaller Oneway with a 1hp motor might not be a good choice for me anyway.

I know the Jet 1642EVS is very popular and it has the 42" capacity. I am just hesitant to spend the extra $1,000 in case I need more capacity. The info I am looking at regarding the Jet 1642EVS says it has a 1.5hp motor same as the Nova 1624? I may have to move this thing myself too so size & weight may be an issue unless I scare up some help.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-30-2015 at 1:04 PM.

I have the Jet 1642EVS (1 1/2HP 115V) and one *strong* person could move and assemble the parts, two is much better. The weight works in your favor when it comes to turning a rough hewn green bowl blank. Jet does sell a 20" bed extension if 42" is not long enough. The sliding head is a great option for bowls and platters as it is best to work from in front of the bowl/platter while for spindle work (legs and stretchers in your case) you stand parallel to the bed. Of the options you listed, IMHO, it is the best general purpose lathe.

The OneWay also has an extension available and is the 'cadillac' of the models you mentioned. To me its appeal is the high top-end speed which I want for turning miniatures. It is also probably the most stable of the lot being constructed of heavy steel rather than cast iron.

A number of people on this site use and like the Grizzly lathes and are waiting the new model impatiently. Grizzly has a model (G0632) very similar to the Jet 1642 which is only $1500 delivered. Their G0733 which appears to be a clone of the Laguna lathe is currently $1845 delivered and has 18" swing and 47" between centers, 2hp 220v motor with EVS.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for your help Thom. I went to Woodcraft and looked at the lathes today. They did not let me actually use one like the guy on the phone implied they would but I did get to put my hands on them. The guy I talked to thought I should go for a real Variable Speed like the Jet 1642 or the Nova DVR XP. He thought I would want that feature should I decide to turn bowls from the free supply of wood I have. The issue being it is another $1000 to move up to one of those lathes.

Why are the Grizzly Lathes $1000 less? I am guessing they are lighter and not as heavy duty...?

Exactly. You get what you pay for. Many people are happy with Grizzly, and that is great. They just have a reputation for cheaper parts and difficult customer support. You will not be sorry you went for EVS. It is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Why are the Grizzly Lathes $1000 less? I am guessing they are lighter and not as heavy duty...?
    Grizzly is a direct importer. We think we have identified the actual manufacturer and also some think they sell to Jet, Laguna, etc and modify the product paint and other details to match the specifications of the company.

The manufacturer of the Harrison Specialties Simple Hollowing system did a side by side comparison on you-tube of the Jet 1642 and the Grizzly G0733 18-47.

Jet, if they are not the actual manufacturer, is simply an importer that then sells to distributors rather than direct to customers adding another layer of costs to the final price. As to actual specs, I can not answer that. I would suggest that you contact Roger Chandler who started the 'Green Monster Group' here on SMC. He's leading the charge to get the new model.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Grizzly tools seems to be hit or miss in their 'hobby' category. Some times you get good things, some times you have to 'work' with them a bit. Both the Jet and DVR can be done with 220 volt. You get a little hp boost with that. For bowls up to about 14 inch diameter max, they are fairly easy to sell. Anything over that is a specialty market, so being able to do bigger isn't a necessity. I went with a big lathe not for the extra diameter I could turn, I wanted a 3 hp motor. The 12 inch Oneway is nice, but I found it to be kind of weak for a 1 hp motor. I have a Robust lathe, which is as good as any of the Oneway lahtes, but it has a sliding headstock, which I found to be a huge back saver when turning bowls. The pivoting headstock works, but takes more time to set up, and move back again, and then you have to fiddle with it a bit for 'perfect' alignment. Another side note, the amount you spend on the lathe is at best about 1/3 of what you spend on 'accessories'. I have a number of turning clips up on You Tube. Type in robo hippy.

robo hippy

Grizzly is cheaper because there is no middle man mark up. You are the middle man. Its been established that the Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, Grizzly and several others are manufactured by the same company (Burt Group). I was considering the Nova 1624-44 as well until I saw the new Grizzly. Its an easy decision if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Grizzly tools seems to be hit or miss in their 'hobby' category. Some times you get good things, some times you have to 'work' with them a bit. Both the Jet and DVR can be done with 220 volt. You get a little hp boost with that. ...

robo hippy
    Minor correction Robo, the DVR gets a power boost from changing from 110 to 220 due to the DVR motor. It's an odd duck in that it's sort-of a 24-phase motor and sort-of a Sycnro motor. Unlike the 1-phase and 3-phase motors in most equipment which do not.

There are lots of odd things about the DVR motor, which really requires the digital support electronics, unlike other variable speed lathes. But it also results in some nice features like the "stop the motor on a hard catch". I also like the "boot at 500rpm, no matter what speed you were at when you turned the lathe off". Eliminates the "ah-!@#!!" moments when you accidentally turn the lathe on at 3
    000 rpm, when you really wanted to start at 500.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

If you are just getting into it, and you want to primarily do chairs, I would start with the Nova 16-44. It is not EVS, but the belt is quick to change and for spindles you will likely not be changing much any way. You can get bed extensions the same as the DVR. It is 110v, so there is no extra expense of installing a 220 line if you do not have one available already.

If you decide to move up to bowls the 1-1/2hp on the 16-44 will handle that. You will not be able to toss on a really wonky chunk of wood as the low speed is only about 200 rpm, but I have had no issues with anything I have asked of mine so far with a little prep work. The lathe is lighter than some if you get the hybrid legs, but you can get cast legs for it that will add extra weight.

The good part, is that it will not loose much value if you decide to replace it because you want to go larger and heavier in the future.

EVS is great, but if you are just getting into this then you will also need some tools, and what you save on the lathe initially will allow you some good tools to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Butler View Post

EVS is great, but if you are just getting into this then you will also need some tools, and what you save on the lathe initially will allow you some good tools to get you going.
    I'm sorry Lloyd, but, I disagree with this part of your statement. I was one of those guys that always tried to save a few bucks, so, I would always buy the cheaper models not the cheapest, but, cheaper of whatever I was buying. Then after buying what I wanted I would get a chance to try out a model with all the bells and whistles, every time I was sorry that I bought the lower model and would try to upgrade asap. That cost me a lot of money over time, upgrading I mean. So, I think that it is wise to buy the best you can afford when first starting out, then you won't have to think of upgrading and if you want to resell it, it will be a lot easier to sell if it is EVS.
    Len

having made numerous "green" chairs...you don't need a lathe at all..I made them with a homemade springpole for many years..only turnings are short & stubby pieces..i.e. legs & short posts. A mini-lathe is more than sufficient. All the rest of the parts SHOULD BE RIVED & SPOKESHAVED & run with the grain.. If you want to make bowls, any lathe that turns from 250??? & up will do the job. As for $$$, turning is not cheap..it is a $$$$pit..get ready to break the bank
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

094.jpgRockler puts the Nova 1624 on sale for $999 every now and then. I bought one in January, and have been very pleased with it. My buying criteria were a little different than yours. I wanted 110v, because my garage isn't wired for 220v, and doing so was not in the budget. I wanted it reversible for finishing, and wanted the rotating headstock for large work and easy access turning for small stock. Electronic speed control would have been nice, but belt changing is not a big deal, plus I don't change speeds that often. the 1.5 HP is plenty for what I need. It is a heavy beast. I put it together by myself, but needed my better half to help stand it up. Just my $.02.

Aren't you glad you asked? I'm sure everything is clear to you now. If you put 100 turners in a room and ask our opinion of what lathe to buy we can't help but recommend what we like best. After all that's what you asked us to do. Which ever you buy, enjoy and be safe.
    faust