Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nova, Jet or Oneway?

Blog Entries
    The Woodcraft guy told me the frames/bodies are made in NZ and some of the wiring and motor/parts are from US, but he may have been working from old or inaccurate information.

The Grizzly G0766 is listed as having a 3hp, 220v motor. The information I see indicates that there are two speed ranges 330-3200 and 100-1200. I am wondering how this motor compares to the DVR-XP?

Mike the DVR is a completely different motor, it is like computer controlled and has no per se windings. I cannot say anything about the Grizzly motor because no one has seen or used it. All I can judge Grizzly with is the two machines I do have and I would never buy either again. Teknatool built a factory in China and that is where most or all of there equipment is now made. The important thing to look at is the warranty, I would not buy a lathe that only has a 1 year warranty when there are so many that have 5 year warranty. Both of my tools from Grizzly turned to crap after the one year warranty ended, not to say that you could get a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    The Woodcraft guy told me the frames/bodies are made in NZ and some of the wiring and motor/parts are from US, but he may have been working from old or inaccurate information.
    The leg used to be made in the US, I haven't dug into if they still are.
    The bodies were never made in the US, they were made in NZ, but they have been made in China, at a plant owned by Teknatool, for eight or so years.
    I have a DVR-XP from the first China production run and it exemplified the QA issues Teknatool has been having ever since. They get a run of "good stuff', then a run of not so good.
    With my DVR-XP the casting flashing had not been cleaned up and the tool-rest hole in the banjo was a couple thousands too large for the Nova tool-rest to go into. The first was just lazyness, the 2nd someone not actually checking fit.

As another example the entire first run of the Nova Infinity chuck was not properly heat-treated and Teknatool had to recall the entire run. Later runs where just fine.

As Bill notes, the DVR is not anything like a conventional motor, it is something else instead. It's sorta a computer controlled 24 phase motor, and sorta like a computer controlled servo-motor, only it's not. The DVR motor has lots of very useful advantages over a conventional motor.
    To me the only major disadvantage is that Teknatool is really the only source.

The DVR motor is only used in the DVR-XP, DVR-2024 and ShopSmith MK-7

My understanding is the motor and main electronics are made in NZ, still, to this day. That is why no-one (in China) has copied the DVR motor. If a plant was making it there, it would be copied and sold.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    ... The important thing to look at is the warranty, I would not buy a lathe that only has a 1 year warranty when there are so many that have 5 year warranty. Both of my tools from Grizzly turned to crap after the one year warranty ended, not to say that you could get a good one.
    On the other hand my Grizzly (low end) contractor style Table-saw is nearly 20 years old and still going strong. I have replaced the belt and fence system, but nothing else.
    My Grizzly (industrial) Band-Saw is 6 years old now, I have had to replace several bearings (off-the-shelf at FastenAll), but nothing else.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

EVERY company has issues and unhappy customers at some point and time. I have had nothing but great tools and service from Grizzly. Delta and Laguna are dead to me but they still have happy customers. Every company has good and bad products also. The customer is paying for that 5 year warranty. Another reason for the higher price over Grizzly that people don't want to see.

I'm late in replying to this thread. My girlfriend had a Nova DVR which she liked very much until she started using my Robust Liberty. When you put the DVR in reverse, it flashes a screen that asks you if you know that you are in reverse. A minor irritation. Dust gets into the front control panel unless you tape it up. But, the biggest problem is in the tailstock spindle. It has a steel key that locks it in the tailstock and you have metal to metal contact when extending the spindle or retracting it. It is very difficult to operate. It's a good lathe overall, except for these minor nit-picks. My girlfriend sold hers and bought a Liberty. Full disclosure, I have the Robust Liberty, three Oneways(a2436, and two 1224's) and two Jet minis(1220 and 1221). I had to set up a second shop in my girlfriends garage is why I have so many lathes. My 1224's are my favorite of all. Good luck in your choice.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Joe, the Oneway 1224's are your favorite? I think they have a 1hp motor, will that handle bowls & plates? I think the 24" between centers wold work for me and the 0-1200 & 0-4500 speed ranges sound good too. They apparently come with what looks like a nice stand too...

Mike, my 1224's have a 1hp motor. I got the big bowls out of my system years ago. Most of my turnings are now under 12" in dia. If I want to turn bigger, I always have the 2436 or the Liberty. Safe turning.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the positive info on the Oneway 1224s Joe. I tried to talk to Highland Woodworking about them last week as they list them on their web site. Apparently Highland sold off their demos and stock and only order them for people now. I think I would be good turning only bowls 12" or less too. I could always make larger platers with hand tools. It is fun to carve more artsy designs in larger pieces IMHO. It sounds like the 1hp motor and variable speed system has proven adequate for small to medium size spindles and small bowls which is where my interest lies.

I have the NOVA 1624-44 an do not mind changing belts. I only use 3 ranges due to the fact I turn bowls ( 6 to 24 inch), tops, snowmen and wooden eggs. I can not see spending the money on a Dvr...........yet.

Blog Entries
    I believe the belt on a Nova 1624-44 has 8 belt changes for 8 different single speeds 21-3630. The Nova DVR seems unique in it's ability to do step ups via a touch button 100-3500. There are also machines like the 1224 Oneway that have a two step belt change, in the 1224's case the changes are 0-1200 or 0-4500. In the case of the Oneway would I be correct in assuming the switch to 0-1200 is the smaller belt which would be like a smaller gear providing greater torque?

I have read another review of the 1224 Oneway by a professional turner, who happens to be an older guy with back aches like me. I was impressed that the reviewer, claimed he preferred working on his 1224 to working on a larger lathe. There are also some interesting options that I think can be added to a 1224 that might be a significant help for a person interested in making chairs: remote start stop, spindle steady (bowl steady apparently fits on same assembly), drill wizard, extra banjo (tool rest), factory bed extension 24"...

It looks to me like: Nova DVR, Jet 1642 or Oneway 1224 lathes cost around the same amount of money. These are probably the prime targets of my research at this point. I like the compact solid stand that the Oneway 1224 comes with and there are some nice accessories that I could order with it or later that might come in handy.

Blog Entries
    I am having a little difficulty finding vendors for Oneway lathes. Highland Woodworking lists them on their web site but when I called them they told me they no longer stock them but could order one for me. I'm wondering why I would want a middle man (company) if I planed to order a Oneway lathe? The information I find seems to suggest that most of these lathes are custom ordered anyway. I downloaded a ordering document from the Oneway sort of web site. At some point I found a front end for what looked like a new Oneway web site that is under construction the current one looks a little bare bones. I tried calling the 800# but so far I have not gotten through.

I am wondering how others who have a 1224 or other Oneway lathe may have bought it? I am also interested in the 1236SD model (Sit Down) Oneway lathe. I am wondering if anyone has a 1236SD or has worked on one than can comment? It appears that Oneway offers more options for this lathe, bed size, motor size....The regular model appears to be within $500 of the 1224 but come with a bed that has 36" between centers. The 24" between center distance on the 1224 may be a little tight for chair spindles, certainly small for table legs. The 1236SD is close to another 200lbs and offers the option of turning the entire bed and motor sideways to make it easy to work sitting down. I'm just not sure how much if any rigidity and reliability the moveable bed design might cost? An extended bed for a 1224 is about $300, could be added after the initial purchase if needed and could be removed if not needed..

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I am having a little difficulty finding vendors for Oneway lathes. Highland Woodworking lists them on their web site but when I called them they told me they no longer stock them but could order one for me. I'm wondering why I would want a middle man (company) if I planed to order a Oneway lathe? The information I find seems to suggest that most of these lathes are custom ordered anyway. I downloaded a ordering document from the Oneway sort of web site. At some point I found a front end for what looked like a new Oneway web site that is under construction the current one looks a little bare bones. I tried calling the 800# but so far I have not gotten through.

I am wondering how others who have a 1224 or other Oneway lathe may have bought it? I am also interested in the 1236SD model (Sit Down) Oneway lathe. I am wondering if anyone has a 1236SD or has worked on one than can comment? It appears that Oneway offers more options for this lathe, bed size, motor size....The regular model appears to be within $500 of the 1224 but come with a bed that has 36" between centers. The 24" between center distance on the 1224 may be a little tight for chair spindles, certainly small for table legs. The 1236SD is close to another 200lbs and offers the option of turning the entire bed and motor sideways to make it easy to work sitting down. I'm just not sure how much if any rigidity and reliability the moveable bed design might cost? An extended bed for a 1224 is about $300, could be added after the initial purchase if needed and could be removed if not needed..
    C.A. Savoy is a vendor for Oneway products, including lathes. ... C A cadjsavoy@cox.net

He is with the captial area woodturners, and a lot of the turners in this region do business with him.......easy to work with, from what I understand.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Call OneWay directly. Their web site is Oneway.ca. They ship directly from the plant. I have a 2436 and have used the 12". It is a terrific lathe. When you talk about Oneway and Robust you are talking very high end machines. Parts and support are a phone call away and everything is made by the seller. I have nothing bad to say about the PM machines except it lacks a "hands off" spindle lock and requires an accessory for indexing. I owned a 3520B for several years before selling it and buying the Oneway. I was afraid I would miss the sliding head feature the PM gave me but I don't. I have an outboard attachment for the Oneway and merely move the chuck to the outboard position to hollow large bowls. Remember, the cost of the lathe is half the ultimate cost of the tools and gadgets turners simply cannot live without.
    faust

Robust has a sit down lathe as well, and it is well worth looking into. Plus, it is made in the USA. I have turned on a Oneway 1224 a couple of times, and while nice, it felt rather weak for a 1 hp motor. I am used to turning with 3 hp, so it might be me.

robo hippy