Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortise Pal Vs Jessem Doweling Jigs? More Strength?

Mortise Pal Vs Jessem Doweling Jigs? More Strength?

I'm debating purchasing a Mortise Pal from a neighbor OR a Jessem Doweling Jig.

I like the router idea more than a drill + 1 to the Mortise Pal

I like how the Jessem references off the face so joining a table top with dowels down the center is better + 1 Jessem

Any other big differences I'm missing?

I also cannot decide on the Paralign or the 8350 Jessem. I like the build in clamp on the Paralign.

Is making my own Mortise Pal tenon stock easy? I have a table saw and router.

To make tenon stock for the Mortise Pal you will need a router table and bits.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

What are you going to use it for? Depending on the joint, answer might differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    What are you going to use it for? Depending on the joint, answer might differ.
    +1 In general, a mortise and tenon will be stronger than a doweled joint. But it depends on what your application is. Strength may not be the major factor - for example, your requirement may be alignment.

Mike

[If you want mortise and (loose) tenon, an excellent (but expensive) solution is the Festool Domino.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Both are great. The Jessem is quicker I would argue. Dowels are cheaper to buy than the effort to make precise tenon stock. But some feel that dowels are a step up from pocket holes. If you don't care about that stigma, then Jessem is very good.

Search for jessem under user Bill Huber and you will find tons of info.

Mike

I have both, almost never use mortise Pal because of the mess that router creates even with the dust collection. Setup is a bit longer with the mortise pal also setup is easier for small things with Jessem. Other day I used Jessem for a big 20"x32"picture frame miter corners and worked very well. Routing those miters would not have been ill advised.
    Jessem is quicker almost as fast as pocket holes.

What about the BeadLock by Rockler?

http://www.rockler.com/3-8-beadlock-basic-starter-kit

I'd love to get a festool domino but I don't build to sell, rather spend that amount of $$ on a nice 40sw and reloading supplies. Why do hobbies get more expensive as we get older??

just building coffee tables, chairs and book cases. Read several posts the doweling jigs are faster AND I could do multiple rows of dowels for strength I guess.

inhave a router and router table. Thought bout making a horizontal mortise jig.

Blog Entries
    I have Mortise Pal. I don't have the Jessum, but I do have doweling capability. IMHO, mortise and tenon is more permanent and a better joint.

M&T joints with dowels locking the joint is sometimes incredibly strong. If you work in teak, glue doesn't quite do the job, so M&T with dowels locking the joint is the way I prefer to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    just building coffee tables, chairs and book cases. Read several posts the doweling jigs are faster AND I could do multiple rows of dowels for strength I guess.
    If you look at the difference between dowels and M&T, taking the same penetration into the wood, and in the same physical space, M&T always comes out with more long grain to long grain surface area, which equates to a stronger joint.

You can certainly build furniture with dowels and the joints may be sufficiently strong, but M&T will always be stronger (assuming both are made equally well).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use this dowel jig that I picked up off ebay for $20. I don't understand the need for $100+ dowel jigs when this one does everything I need?
    $_57.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I use this dowel jig that I picked up off ebay for $20. I don't understand the need for $100+ dowel jigs when this one does everything I need?
    $_57.JPG
    I had one of those an it was horrible. There was so much play in the cylinder That the joints were never accorate. I have had several jigs like the Rockler and one of those self centering ones. I hated them all. The Jessem is night and day difference. I don't hesitate to use dowels if they are appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I had one of those an it was horrible. There was so much play in the cylinder That the joints were never accorate. I have had several jigs like the Rockler and one of those self centering ones. I hated them all. The Jessem is night and day difference. I don't hesitate to use dowels if they are appropriate.
    Mine is perfectly tight on the cylinder and the slide. I have never had an alignment issue. Perfect holes every time.

I agree with Ed..simple, cheap & works like a charm
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe