Thread: Nova G3 Chuck.....48232 Reversible VS 48202 non-reversible

Nova G3 Chuck.....48232 Reversible VS 48202 non-reversible

Hi All

I was about to pull the trigger on this chuck. I have a Rikon 70-220VSR and the spindle is 1"x8TPI and matches this chuck. Teknatools website claims the chuck should only be used on the Comet II since the chuck has a set screw and can be used in reverse. Teknatool's website point to a G3 chuck model 48202 for all other lathes.

Well.....my Rikon's 3" faceplate that came with the lathe also has a setscrew. So can I use the G3 48232 on my lathe or is this chuck really dedicated only to Nova's Comet II??

Model 48202 does not appear to have a 1"x8TPI thread so I have to buy an adapter.

Thoughts??

Thanks

George

Im sure its fine to use it but if you ever upgrade your lathe, your chuck will be useless. Id recommend buying the one that requires an insert so you can still use your chuck once you buy a bigger lathe.

product literature says "designed exclusively for use on the Comet II Midi Lathe"

so I'd get the 48202 with the correct adaptor.

Thanks guys. Didnt even dawn upon me that the regular G3 which requires an insert would be more portable in the future.....huh maybe my first senior moment

It doesn't have to be the future. At home I use a G3 some on a Jet 1642. Over the weekend, when I did a demo at Woodcraft on a 1221, I simply changed the adapter.

George....my first lathe was a Jet-1014 VS given to me with a Super Nova II chuck. When I upgraded to a PM-3520B, I just removed the old insert and got a new one. I was able to use the jaws I had bought over the 2 year span. Point being, it was portable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by George Farra View Post
    Thanks guys. Didnt even dawn upon me that the regular G3 which requires an insert would be more portable in the future.....huh maybe my first senior moment
    George it appears you have your answer but just to add to the conversation, Nova sells two dedicated chucks(meaning already threaded to 1"-8tpi). One is the 48232 which they say is exclusively for their Comet lathe. They also sell a 46-461 which is advertised as exclusively for Delta lathes, note that the model number format is even in the Delta format. Neither one requires an adapter and both, as already mentioned, are threaded to 1"-8tpi. I don't know this for a fact but to me 1"8tpi by any other name is 1"-8tpi so I suspect that both of these chucks are identical, just with different labeling. I know of folks who have bought the Delta version and it fit quite nicely on their non-Delta 1"-8tpi lathe so I suspect that the Comet version would do the same. The only possible difference might be the spindle shoulder on the Comet may be an odd size, lager, and not the same as standard 1"8tpi spindles. I say standard because if you buy the 48202 with the 1"-8tpi adapter, it fits all 1"8tpi lathes I am aware of, or at least I have not heard of anyone having a fit up problem. I also suspect that it would fit quite nicely on the Comet. Perhaps there is someone on the SMC that actual uses the 48202 on their Comet and could comment on it?? As you have surmised the 48202 adapter version IS your best bet. As for the reversing feature of the 48232 and the 46-461(yes it has it too), just drill and tap a 1/4"-20tpi(or 6mmx1mm) hole in one of the flats of the hex section of the adapter, install the appropriate set screw and presto you have the reversing feature. That is what I did with mine and it works great although I generally forget to use it.

Well like I said nothing here to change your conclusion on what to buy, just some more data on the Nova chucks. Enjoy your turning.
    Last edited by James Combs; 03-30-2015 at 9:28 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Im sure its fine to use it but if you ever upgrade your lathe, your chuck will be useless. Id recommend buying the one that requires an insert so you can still use your chuck once you buy a bigger lathe.
    Not useless. You can use a thread adapter (about $20 from PSI) and still use the 1" chuck. I do it all the time switching between my Powermatic 3520B and Nova Comet II.

I believe the issue with the Nova Comet specific version is WHERE the set screw is . It may be such that using it on certain other brands might result in damaged threads. Not having access to one or even a good picture, that is of course just supposition.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Not useless. You can use a thread adapter (about $20 from PSI) and still use the 1" chuck. I do it all the time switching between my Powermatic 3520B and Nova Comet II.
    Thomas, do you think you could get us a picture of the CometII spindle threads and if your chuck is the Comet specific one get us a pic of the setscrew area? You know how inquiring minds are. Thom maybe onto something. A difference in the "length" of the Comet spindle shoulder would potentially move the set screw. My original thought above was a different diameter at the shoulder.

Here is photo of the Comet II thread showing the 13/16 x 1/4" grove about 1/8" from face or end of shaft. My little Nova midi chuck does not have a set screw so cannot give that information, but the thread adapter allows using a lot of 1" thread items on the 1-1/4" thread Powermatic. IMG_1128.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Here is photo of the Comet II thread showing the 13/16 x 1/4" grove about 1/8" from face or end of shaft. My little Nova midi chuck does not have a set screw so cannot give that information, but the thread adapter allows using a lot of 1" thread items on the 1-1/4" thread Powermatic.
    I don't see anything there that would keep any 1"-8tpi chuck from mounting on it, set screw or no set screw. Looks just like my Griz G0658 1"-8 spindle. Thanks for posting Thomas.

I just checked a Jet 1014 and 1220 and they are threaded all the way back.
    KIMG0071.jpg
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

^^^ and now we see why that one chuck is marketed specifically for the Comet

if you use it on another lathe, tighten the grub screw and it damages your threads (which WILL happen) - NOVA will ask why you used it on a non-Comet lathe.