Thread: Motor info lookup?

Motor info lookup?

I bought A 1.5hp motor from grizzly about a week ago to put on my planer.
    The item is part H4324.
    The listing says it's a NEMA56 frame so I assumed it was the same as my planer had. .

Motor arrives and its got a 1" shaft diameter and .440" keyway. 56 standard is 5/8" shaft.

When I called today because it's obviously not standard 56 I was told they has no specs. And couldn't tell me what it came from.

Does anyone know where I might find specs or a 3" OD pulley with a 1" bore and .440 keyway?

Not only you have motor that doesn't match the NEMA frame size, you probably have a motor rated for different and probably higher hp/amps loads. It just may be over rated for your planer's electrical wiring/switches/relays even if you can fit it into you machine.

You don't know what you got, do you? .440 keyway........?????? For a 1" shaft, usually it's a .250 keyway.

Those are some good points! The claim of nema upsets me because it's a standard which is not the case.

I have amp meters so I could work that out but I like the point. Even if they gave me specs I would feel better about it

I'll email them tonight and see what they say and report back.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Jonathan,

What does the data plate say about amperage and speed? As long as it is the same rating and speed as your old motor you can always find a pulley to fit the shaft, though I would go to a power transmission shop that will have it or be able to get what you need. If there is no data plate I would be taking the motor back to the vendor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

I just went to look and there is no data plate. What I really don't like is everything was sprayed green and half of the paint is sitting in the box as broken pieces of paint.

Here is the unit https://www.grizzly.com/products/1-5...PM-Motor/H4324

Will see if they insist I pay return shipping and the restocking fee

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Jonathan,

Though it may have sold cheap, I would not place great faith in such a cheap product if there are no specs provided.

I prefer to spend a bit more upfront and be certain of what I am paying for.

Good luck with Grizzly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Grizzly's photo shows a conduit box - Is there anything onside the cover. How many wires, Capacitor bump on the side?
    The 1" does not match NEMA 56. Shaft sizes step in 1/4 increments and are 5/8-7/8 - 1-1/8".
    NEMA dimension can be found here http://kurz.com/wp-content/uploads/2...rame-Chart.pdf.
    or here http://ecatalog.weg.net/files/wegnet...re-english.pdf

There is an IEC motor with a 24mm diameter shaft however the .44" key dimension does not seem right.
    A key that wide would cut too much of the shaft off. The pictures on their website show shaft with what seems to be a large key.
    If the key is removable you could make it a step key and have it machined to an ansi standard size. Don't try and file it by hand, keys need to be a precision fit. The ANSI key for a 1" shaft is 0.25 wide.
    McMaster-Car has a pulley w 1" bore, search v belt pulleys.

I would be cautious about applying power until I had some nameplate or wiring data. Without a name plate you do not know correct voltage.

Are you communicating with Grizz customer service or TECH SERVICE? Somethin' doesn't sound right about this deal. I've never seen a new motor without a specs plate.
    Just offering a suggestion, 'cause my discussions with TECH SERVICE has always yielded great results.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Are you communicating with Grizz customer service or TECH SERVICE? Somethin' doesn't sound right about this deal. I've never seen a new motor without a specs plate.
    Just offering a suggestion, 'cause my discussions with TECH SERVICE has always yielded great results.
    Bill
    I called a few moments ago and talked to cust services. Told them I wanted to return the motor because the specs were off. I was sent to tech support and the guy was great. He took notes. checked with his boss and will send an RMA!
    I also ordered a new motor that wasnt on sale and hope its as specified

No name plate?

Obviously no electrical approval then.

Send it back..........Rod.