Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to go with the Oneida V-3000

About to go with the Oneida V-3000

Before I commit I'd like to ask the experienced out there some questions about a few options.

• The bag hold down... $48 beans seems a bit ridiculous so I'm wondering if anyone has successfully made one that works well.
    • Fiber vs steel drum... I like the idea of the steel but I'm teetering on this. I assume the fiber is durable enough to last under normal handling and usage. Any bad experiences with the fiber?
    • Is the Filter Efficiency Gauge Kit worth $114 bucks and how important is it assuming I blow out the filter regularly? I would include this task when I blow out the static filters in the mini-split, dehumidifier and air filter. This happens every couple of weeks more or less depending on dust manufacturing in the shop. Will the filter on the cyclone require more frequent cleaning? I assume it will which is why I ask about this one. On their site they make it sound like the filter might explode if it gets too dirty . Marketing I want to believe.

The remote will be included and I plan on getting the level sensor and stand too.

I'm sure there will be many more questions but this should do it for now.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hi John,

I have an Oneida 2 HP SDG that I installed in (I think) 2009. My opinions on your questions are:

1) I like the bag hold down, I have one one in my drum. You could probably make one but the factory one is very easy to use and works well.

2) Fiber or Steel drum - I went with steel. I mounted some small casters to the bottom of the drum to roll it out from under the cyclone when I'm changing the bags. I don't think it matters much.

3) The Filter Efficiency Gauge - I have one on my system. I'd highly recommend it. Tells you at a glance the condition of your filter.

4) I'd also recommend a drum level sensor. I have one on my system and I'm glad I do. If the drum get's too full it makes the bag changes messy and a lot of dust around.

5) I originally installed my system on the stand. I liked the fact the floor was supporting the unit rather than the wall. I bought the wall mount bracket for mine last year and mounted it to the wall (and raised the unit up as high as I could). My shop is an attached 2 car garage with a drywall ceiling at about 10 feet. The additional height worked out better for the duct layout.

Good luck with the install, having reliable dust collection is a very good thing. I'm sure you'll love having your new system.

PHM

Is the V 3000 a 3hp cyclone? Do you know what size impeller it has? There is a thread talking about leaking fiber drums just now. They are saying go with a plastic drum.

Paul,

Thanks for the info but I think you may have cost me a few more dollars for the filter gauge . As for the stand vs the wall bracket, I would like to mount the collector to the wall but the shop is in my back yard in the middle of a subdivision. I can hear the hum of the air filter (very faint though) on the outside of the shop when it's quiet outside. I can only imagine the reverberation of a cyclone. All the neighbors are nice and I'd really like to keep it that way.

Jim,

I looked through some of those recent threads but it's not clear if it's the lid not sealing, a hole in the drum or the connection to the cyclone (maybe i missed something though). Regardless of how durable the fiber drum is I suppose the steel drum will always be "more" durable. Probably the better route.

[EDIT} I forgot to answer your questions Jim. Yes, the V-3000 is a 3hp model but I don't know the size of the impeller. This is the info from their site on the cyclone with filter attached and no duct: Maximum Actual CFM (with Filter): 1,349 CFM at 2.3" SP
    Last edited by John Donofrio; 03-30-2015 at 8:12 PM.

I have a 3hp SDG and went for the 55 steel drum which I don't use bags with, but just dump it on my burn pile. Filter gauge would be nice. I filled up my drum 3 times today.... lot of planing.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Just because it answers some of the questions asked in this thread, here is a link to an older post of mine regarding the real world performance of my (earlier, metal bodied) Oneida V3000; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...y-DC&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Just because it answers some of the questions asked in this thread, here is a link to an older post of mine regarding the real world performance of my (earlier, metal bodied) Oneida V3000; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...y-DC&highlight=
    Thanks John, good information there. It looks like the published performance curves haven't changed much due to the material change. Have you been happy with the performance? Don't know your shop size but the one this will be in is a 22x22 with 9'6" ceilings. All the major dust pumps are to one side though. There is plans to run a floor sweep or two to the opposite side where the bench areas is in the future though.

My shop is roughly 25'x25'. Overall I'm very happy with the system, the only place it struggles is with my 25" double drum sander. It sends more dust than I'm happy with to the filter so I came up with a system to vent outside when I'm running the sander.

9. I just installed my V-3000 in my 24x24 shop, I rant 6" Sewer & Drain pipe to all my tools and used the ClearVue Blast Gates and 6" to 2-4" fittings. Everything works really well. I did not install the barrel sensor yet but am contemplating it. I tried documenting everything in another post as well:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nd-Initial-run

Blog Entries
    You can get a much bigger filter gauge at less cost by getting a 0-5" Magnahelic on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Dwyer-Magnehel...gnehelic+gauge Or get the Minihelic on Amazon like Oneida sells for less than half the price. And you don't need the pitot tube they show, just a barbed threaded brass fitting available at HD along with some 3/16" vinyl tube. First gauge in my pic is overall suction, second is filter loss. With the 3 hp unit, I recommend a 7" main run on your duct system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-31-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Cameron, I read through your thread and will be using it as reference for sure. Nice install and thanks! If there's any interest, I may do something similar during my install, I just don't when it will happen.

Ole, Thanks a bunch but unfortunately I just ordered the unit, literally minutes ago, before I read your post. I may add an upstream gauge like you did though.

I originally planned on going with the 3hp portable to avoid the need to immediately install ductwork but one thing led to another and I ended up with the V-3000. I think I made the right decision to end up at that price/performance happy medium.

Thanks to all for the excellent information and guidance. Great place to be this SMC is!

I've had my SDG for coming up on 10 years now, still using the same fiber 35g drum, looks like brand new. Gets normal hobby use so it doesn't get handled too often. Can't see why I'd need a steel drum unless I was going to be running in to sharp objects while carrying it outside for emptying.

I agree with my namesake up there: fiber drum for hobbyist is fine. If I were emptying the drum daily, then steel make sense. I think I empty mine maybe 1-2x per year.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I agree with my namesake up there: fiber drum for hobbyist is fine. If I were emptying the drum daily, then steel make sense. I think I empty mine maybe 1-2x per year.

Agreed. I empty more often due to planing and jointing but I've been using the same fiber drum for 4 or 5 years now including 2 moves. Steel would be great but the fiber should last me another 20-30 years easily. If you have any moisture issues that could change things. I just line it with whatever bags I have on hand. The bag hold down is great. And I'd recommend the drum level sensor as well. It really sucks planing away only to find out your drum was full and now all your chips are in the filter. Then you spend the next hour cleaning up

You could make your own filter gauge with clear rubber tubing, water and food coloring. Though the mag from amazon would be better. I like that idea.

When I am planing down a bunch of rough lumber, I have to dump my 55 gallon drum about every 20 minutes. It fills that fast. I have all my trees mulched, but just keep adding more. They say that sawdust and chips are the best mulch. But not for your garden. Ties up your nitrogen.