Thread: New Saws

New Saws

The Postal Lady was good to me today. While opening the box I was thinking this just about completes my collection of Bad Axe Saws....Wrong Desert Breath, I made the mistake of opening the Bad Axe web site while looking for Mark's email so I could let him know the saws arrived and cut beautifully. There with a big "new" sign next to it was the dovetail saw I've been looking for, narrow saw plate, open tote, and 12" long....My palms started sweating, my pupils dilated, I almost went into tachycardia before I could get to paypal for the deposit.

Anyway here are the two that came in today's post, I expect a couple of months before photos of the 12" dovetail saw:

If Interested:

The top saw is a 16" Tenon saw filed 11ppi rip, the bottom one is a 14" Sash Saw filed 12ppi hybrid. Both have Honey Mesquite totes, Black Pearl Nickel plated steel backs, and Stainless Steel Slotted nuts.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty, I'm jealous!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Thou sucketh. Very nice saws indeed.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous! Those will certainly cause you to spend much more time in the shop.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice pair of saws Ken. Any chance of a better photo on both the handles.

Stewie;

Thanks guys,

I know I have a saw problem but what the heck.

For me Bad Axe saws hit the sweet spot between custom made saws and production saws. They are near custom but priced just slightly higher than a typical top of the line production saw. Add in Mark and his guys do a great job of hand filing and hammer setting the tooth line and you end up with a wonderful saw for semi-reasonable money. I really shouldn't say semi-reasonable money, you end up with a great saw at a fair price, I don't think you can buy a better saw at any price point.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Very nice pair of saws Ken. Any chance of a better photo on both the handles.

Stewie;
    Sure...might not be tonight but I'll post a close up.

ken

Stewie,

The 14" Sash Tote:

16" Tenon Tote:

Not like one of yours but still comfortable and attractive. If I'm not mistaken, Mark has direct copies of the approbate Disston saw handle made for most of his saws.

Hope this helps,

ken

Thanks Ken. I had heard a lot of good things about Marks saw making abilities. Getting a closer view at the workmanship within both handles has given me a much clearer perspective. Appreciate your assistance.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    If Interested:

The top saw is a 16" Tenon saw filed 11ppi rip, the bottom one is a 14" Sash Saw filed 12ppi hybrid. Both have Honey Mesquite totes, Black Pearl Nickel plated steel backs, and Stainless Steel Slotted nuts.
    I have to know, what is Honey Mesquite? I have some South Texas mesquite that I've considered making totes out of, but it doesn't have the same figure your totes have.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have to know, what is Honey Mesquite? I have some South Texas mesquite that I've considered making totes out of, but it doesn't have the same figure your totes have.
    Lowell,

Not a clue but being a old Desert Rat I have to have my totes made of some kind of Mesquite :-). I think it is pretty and it seems to hold up well, I've several saws in the till that are a few years old and well used, the Honey Mesquite still looks good.

ken

Blog Entries
    Did you make the totes? My totes look good, but they are not crisp like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Did you make the totes? My totes look good, but they are not crisp like yours.
    Lowell,

No,no,no, not just no but heck no. I try to make furniture, if I gave in to my tool jones and started making saws, planes and other tools I expect my furniture making would come to a complete stop and I would end up with a collection of ugly tools. As it is now I have a collection of very nice tools and a bunch of ugly furniture :-).

The saws were made by Bad Axe Tool Works in La Crosse WI. Mark does a very good job and offers enough options that you can have a saw built to your specifications with different saw plates, ppi, and filing. On most of his saws you can choose between 4 to 6 different woods for the handle and at least 3 different sizes, it's the same with saw backs and fasteners. Bottom line, you can order one plain or you can add as much "bling" as your AmEx can handle.

ken

Blog Entries
    Well,

I'm going to make one using mesquite and see how it turns out. It will be a D-7 but, I have an issue with cutting the saw slot. The D-7 handles are closed top, and the saw slots are completely hidden, and are cut with a circular blade. If I could come up with a rip blade that was thin enough I suppose I could put it on my shaper and make the horizontal cut. The prospect of doing that terrifies me, I can visualize the blade grabbing the wood and who knows the consequences?

I think I will cut the slot with my tenon saw and insert a thin wooden strip in the top to close the slot.

Mesquite can be brittle, but it's mostly as easy to work as walnut.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-02-2015 at 11:30 AM.