Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Feeder ?

Power Feeder ?

I would like to add a power feeder to our shaper. The shaper is a 5 hp delta single phase. We have three phase available as well. what should I be looking for in terms of motor size etc? Does adding a power feeder in any way limit what can be done with the tool? I'd like to purchase a used one in order to reduce cost, are there any particularly good or bad models?

Thank you in advance

Get a full size feeder with a 1 hp motor, low speed under 15 ft/min., under 10ft/min. is useful occasionally. Three wheels good, four wheels better. You can swing the feeder out of the way, so it doesn't limit any other use. The European models (Steff/Maggi, Univer) seem to be slightly better machined than the Taiwan ones, which are all made by Comatic and rebadged by other brands. The stock rubber wheels lose their grip eventually but can be replaced with better polyurethane ones for about $35 apiece. The only downside is that your shaper is light enough that it can be overbalanced with a feeder that size at full extension and rotation. You will wonder how you got along without one in terms of both safety and cut quality.

Any feeder is better than no feeder. Having said that 1 hp models are pretty much the norm in cabinet shops as they're solid and can handle just about every situation. There are numerous names out there but seems like only a few manufacturers that get re-branded. If I had the choice of any feeder out there I'd go with a Univer as they're a bit easier to flip from horizontal to vertical feed. They also offer models with variable speed which is nice. However when shopping used it's usually buying what's available at the price you want, when you want to buy

good luck,
    JeffD

I bought a Grizzly track feeder during their Christmas sale.... first feeder for me and now I'm trying to use it for everything! As was stated the cut quality and safety both go up.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Anything 1/2 HP and above will do for most shaper operations, If I were buying new I would only go 1hp as the price difference is so marginal. Brands? You have Steff, co-matics that are mostly all the same with different colors and names, some very rare brands, and some old defunct brands that are often rock solid. I have an old MEC that works great, a very good Steff 4 wheel, and a decent grizzly branded comatic, they all work fine for most operations, the MEC has the wides range of speed control and is my favorite, the steff has some great polyurethane wheels that stick like glue, the grizzly was very affordable brand new. The feeders add capability, I've never found them to limit anything, and they can always be removed if you need to maximize table space for template shaping should that need arrive.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

My GF's teenage son is a power feeder!

I picked up my used 1hp 3ph power feeder for a couple hundred dollars and feel I scored an excellent deal. I wasn't really in the market for one at the time but jumped on it when it appeared on craigslist! I use mine with a VFD as a phase converter to run it on single phase. I love the adjustable speed I get from the VFD. For a couple of hundred you could add a VFD to a 3ph power feeder for infinitely adjustable speeds even if you are running it on a 3ph circuit.

The only down side of a 1hp power feeder is that they are quite heavy. Not something you want to move around a lot. But it is very easy to swing them out of the way for non power fed shaper work. I though about getting an extra mount for my router table and moving my feeder back and forth between my shaper and router table but the feeder to too heavy to make such a switch very often.

3 phase power feeders are generally a fair bit cheaper than 1 phase power feeders on the used market. Inversely single phase feeders will have a better resale value. I have a 4 wheel feeder and have no complaints. My research indicated most people feel 3 or 4 wheel feeders don't make a lot of difference. I got the 4 wheel because it was a great deal. Tracked feeders seem to be premium feeders but wheeled feeders also work great.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 03-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.

How do the delta 4-wheel feeders compare to other brands? Oddly, I have a one of these feeders but no shaper to use it with! Full disclosure: I didn't intend to buy it, it followed some other tools home with me. I haven't even powered it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    How do the delta 4-wheel feeders compare to other brands? Oddly, I have a one of these feeders but no shaper to use it with! Full disclosure: I didn't intend to buy it, it followed some other tools home with me. I haven't even powered it up.
    Older Delta feeders were made by Steff. Newer are Comatic. Dave

Thanks for the advice. The info about manufacturers is very helpful.

I have a delta 5hp shaper with a 1 hp delta power feed on it. It's really comes in handy and I highly recommend it. One word of caution though. I have it mounted on the right rear corner of the extension wing. It's quite heavy, so watch out if you swing it off the back of the shaper. I did this once and it flipped the shaper right on its back. It didn't do any damage but what a pain to get it back upright!

Neil, a 1/2 HP feeder will pull a car out a ditch, no need for more power than that.

A 3 phase feeder will give you infinite adjustment if you use a VFD for it, and these feeders can sometimes found for little money.

3 or 4 wheel, your choice.

I use mine on my saw, shaper and occasionally my jointer. They're a great labour saver, and they increase your safety and the quality of work.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Neil, a 1/2 HP feeder will pull a car out a ditch, Rod.

Yes, but only with the right tires! You might want to go with the track feed if that will be part of your regular work, and a long extension cord is in order.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I run one on my main shaper and it does just fine!

good luck,
    jeffd

What size jointer do you have and how do you mount it? Im assuming you use it only for surfacing a face? I could see it being useful for longer boards and flattening a face.

Neil, I'm curious if Rod sets his up to joint the same as I do. I have a Felder combo machine with a 3 wheeler, and swing the feeder over the jointer if I'm face jointing big or lots of stock. One wheel on the infeed side, two on the outfeed. Being a complete self taught amatuer, using a feeder for the first time was one of those light bulb moments.