Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For The Pic Police & Vaughn!!!

For The Pic Police & Vaughn!!!

Ok, since Vaughn accused me of cheaping out on photos with a "sick" post, he has forced me to redeem myself

First Pic: The Pat Warner Bases for my new DW 618 PK

I finally got the accessory knob for my new DW 625 showed up. Now I can easily adjust the router up and down in the Bench Dog. They should tell you when you buy one of these routers that you need to have it!!

And lastly a set of the Dewalt Template Guides to go with the DW618. Never have used a set of templates like these. Plan to give them a whirl soon!

Corey,

WOW! I thought I was looking at my routers! Same setup.

Really like your router table setup with the DW625.

Pete

OK, you're off the hook for now, Cory. (I noticed the pics in your earlier thread, after I gave you grief about not posting evidence.)

I've been eyeing the Pat Warner bases myself. Looks like you're pretty well covered in the router department now.

- Vaughn

Thanks guys! Pete, how do you like that D-handle? I considered getting the 3 base and then passed. Wasn't sure I would use it. Does the DC chute still fit inside the Pat's offset base? I haven't used the router table yet but it is pretty easy to adjust everything and the table is pretty nice for a small shop. I would recommend it. The downfall is that the insert only has a 2 inch hole so you have to use a vertical panel raising bit. The fence is nice, comes with 2 aluminum shims so you can adjust out one side 2 different depths for edge jointing. There is also a kit that will allow you to raise the fence another 3 inches or so for more support while routing tall stock.

Vaugh, just razzing you bud! LOL. I have always been a router junkie, had all kinds of junk. I did have one good Craftsman that I kept. I still like that router. But I had 3 others that I bought that were dedicated to different jigs. I think I bought every lame Craftsman router kit that they made! The worst was the router biscuit joiner! Ever see one of those mill works kits?...LOL! Nice to have some quality routers. I think I need a small trimmer though!!

Corey

Corey,

I like the fixed base the best, but I went for the 3-base because I was so used to having a trigger switch in the handle of my old Ryobi (very smooth, very loud, and now very burnt) that I thought I needed the D-handle.

I've used it once.

I end up taking out the fixed base from my router table so much that I might buy an extra fixed base dedicated to the table.

The DC chute fits, but when I tested out the base it was not in or hooked up to a vac.

Pete

Thanks Pete! Glad the chute still fits. If I was going to use the DBase in a router table, I would definitely get another fixed base. In fact I am thinking about adding a router table for a second table in my table saw. If I do I will use the 618 and ad another fixed base.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    And lastly a set of the Dewalt Template Guides to go with the DW618.
    Ok, that's weird: I've got a Porter Cable set that is identical, right down to the foam insert in the (slightly different) box. Did B&D buy Dewalt too?

Lee, Black and Decker has owned Dewalt for a number of years actually. The DW/PC templates guides are identical I think. PC has always been the standard. I always seem them referred to these days as PC/DW guides. Bosch templates from what I have read are the exception.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Ok, that's weird: I've got a Porter Cable set that is identical, right down to the foam insert in the (slightly different) box. Did B&D buy Dewalt too?
    They have Owned DeWalt for a LONG time now.

Nice Setup Cory. One thing I noticed when I was using my DW625 in my Router Table, was that it sure was slow cranking that adjustment knob up and down, so I made a temporary mod to use until I took it out of the table for hand held use and put an M-12V permanently in the table. You may not find this necessary, but just in case.......here's what I did.

I took a short bolt, (1/4" x about 2", IIRC), and I cut a short piece of copper tubing (about an inch long) and slid it over the bolt and first taped the uncovered part of the bolt to the knob in one of the indented knob serrations (I guess that's what you would call them), and then clamped the bolt with a radiator clamp to the edge of the knob on the adjustor. This gave me a crank handle, and it sure did speed up the depth changing. If I had decided to leave that router in the table, I was going to remove the clamp and epoxy the bolt to the knob. (The copper tubing just rotates freely on the bolt as you turn the crank).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 08-10-2005 at 12:38 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Who Owns Whom? new thread?

I think it would be both useful and fun for Creekers--in a condensed form-to contribute their knowledge of which brands are owned by which major consolidators of brands.

I'm in the bicycle biz--and not everyone knows that Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, Roadmaster, and other brands are owned by Pacific of Madison WI. They do a generally good job of selling thru mass (as in borgs and WMart) and in specialty bike shops retailers somewhat like Rockler and Lee Valley. The bikes are made in China and, at the high end, Taiwan.

Anyone for enlightenment?

Bill Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    The DW/PC templates guides are identical I think. PC has always been the standard. I always seem them referred to these days as PC/DW guides. Bosch templates from what I have read are the exception.

Corey
    FYI - the Bosch routers are pre-drilled to fit PC bases, so if you already have a set of PC templates you can slap on a PC base & go to work. I have plenty of extra PC bases & templates since my PC router took a dump extremely prematurely. But I'm not disgruntled about it, really, I mean it.

It is a little bit slow norman but so much better than sitting there edging it up the old way and hit that quick release and all gain is lost in one quick ZIPPPP!!! Agreed a crank handle would be better. Stilll for my needs in the table which it will be pretty much dedicated, it isn't to bad, basically only use the last 2 inches there.

Thanks!

corey

Bill, I will take a shot at it. Here is what I know:

Black and Decker Inc.
    Owns and Produces:

Black and Decker
    Dewalt
    Bought the ELU Line of routers ( now DW 621 & 625)

Earlier this year or last fall Black and Decker purchased the Pentair Tool Group which was:

Delta Machinery
    Porter Cable Tools
    US Saw Blade Company (made Oldham Saw Blades& Old Hickory router bits I think)
    I think a seperate air compressor company as well but not sure.

WHM Tool Group:
    Owns and produces
    Jet Equipment
    Powermatic
    Perfomax
    Others??

OWI/TTI Inc.
    Owns and produces:
    Ryobi Tool
    Homelite
    Ridgid Tools
    Many Tools that are rebranded under other names, Craftsman one of the many.
    Earlier this year, OWI/TTI purchased the Milwaukee Tool Company. Yes, the same company that makes Ryobi owns Milwaukee tools now!!

Sears Craftsman

Sears makes nothing, all product is manufactered for them to their specs by others such as:
    Orion
    OWI/TTI (Ryobi)
    Chamberlain (garage door openers)
    The list is long long long!

Well this is a start anyway. Some one can add or correct my poor memory.

Corey

Cory

When you get time, see if your bits get hung up in the collar on the 625 like mine do. I have to keep backing out the nut past the loose point till it knocks the bits out. Both the 1/4" and 1/2" do it.

Bob

Who owns?

Corey--thanks!

Quite comprehensive and valuable--I'll print it out and place in one of my several owners manual 3-ring binders.

Bill Fields