Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer hitch for an SUV

I installed a U Haul hitch on my Odyssey, and it was fairly easy. I did go to Honda for the correct tap into the factory wiring. I also had Honda install a transmission cooler. That way, if there were ever any transmission issues, they couldn't claim I had damaged it due to overloading.
    My hitch has a 1 1/4" receiver, standard 2" ball, and is designed for a maximum 3500 lb towing capacity. This is what Honda recommended for towing capacity so there was no sense going to a 2" receiver with 5000 lb capacity.
    Last edited by Mel Miller; 03-31-2015 at 5:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    Have you priced what it would cost to ship the stuff? Might be an attractive alternative.
    Or.......rent a truck/van...one way. Beats beating up the family car!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    . My initial thinking was to just have Uhaul install a hitch and rent whatever size trailer to fit our needs. I did a little research on Uhaul hitch installation and there were some very negative comments about slip shod work.
    I successfully sued Uhaul a couple years ago for a defective installation. Of course, the one near you might be more competent.

Don't DIY it. Let someone who knows what they're doing do it. Plus they'll do the wiring for you, which alone is good enough reason not to DIY it.

I've had 3 hitches installed by UHaul with no problems.

I think it depends on the person, not the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Or.......rent a truck/van...one way. Beats beating up the family car!
    Oh, I don't know. I've had hitches on 3 Pintos, a Festiva, 1 Aspire, and 2 Contours. No problems.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I've had hitches on 3 Pintos, a Festiva, 1 Aspire, and 2 Contours. No problems.
    Some really great cars there....

Wade's having to sue Uhaul is why I'm leaning to DIY. Plus, I have to drive to Illinois from the East coat anyway and make the return trip with the stuff: dishes, desk, etc. Flying to the midwest with my wife, then renting a return Uhaul would be hugely expensive. Thus, a one way trailer seems the most economical, efficient way to do this. Additionally, there is a large number of people with positive experiences with DIY hitches that make the DIY process the most logical for me. Thanks creekers for the responses! That includes me putting one on my daughter-in-laws car, although that was just for a bike rack. At least mentally I've committed to the DIY route, and probably Etrailer.com. Etrailer has reasonably good videos on the installation. I did look at my torque wrench limit which was 80 lbs. The minimum needed is 90 for the Draw-tite model and 136 for the Curt. I'll have to go to HF and get the 1/2" Pittsburg Pro click torque wrench that goes to 150 lbs limit. The reviews on it were good and won't cost me a bundle like my old torque wrench that never made it back.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

how big of a trailer are you looking to get.

If I ever need a hitch I'll look at Tractor Supply in addition to online. No shipping - (decent) hitches most likely ain't gonna be light.

if its a one time thing why not just load your stuff into a pod and have them deliver it to your house??
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Why wouldn't you go to a hitch place and have the right one put on properly?
    Ditto and more importantly, if you stopped by a u-haul they would install the right one for your vehicle. I wouldn't consider a bumper mount hitch for any of the current SUV's since most of them are plastic........