Thread: Purchased dust collector. What next?

Purchased dust collector. What next?

Alright, I purchased my first dust collector today. Used Delta 50-850, 1.5 hp, 1200 cfm unit. I'm running it off 115 vac, and figure I can upgrade to a 2hp or 3hp dust collector later if needed. But this will be a good one to get started.

My question is - what next. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way that I can setup a dust collection system. I am not sure how long I will be at my current address, so I don't want to spend a great deal (money or time) on a custom dust collection system that I might not be able to reuse. I figure I'll need to get some adapters to fit the planer, etc. How about running the hoses? Is it practical to have a long hose connected to the dust collector and just move it from machine to machine? Any suggestions on lengths? Where would I purchase such a hose.

Would appreciate any advice on how to get started with dust collection. The simpler the better for right now, and I'll get more complex over time.

If you do not put a separator in the line before the dust collector itself you will be spending a lot of time cleaning the bag and bag/filter. Anything from a Thien separator to a Super Dust Deputy.
    I ran my 2HP unit through a SDD and used 12' of 5" duct that I moved from tool to tool. It worked very well, much better than the results I am currently getting.

McMaster-Carr was the cheapest the last time I ordered hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    If you do not put a separator in the line before the dust collector itself you will be spending a lot of time cleaning the bag and bag/filter. Anything from a Thien separator to a Super Dust Deputy.
    I ran my 2HP unit through a SDD and used 12' of 5" duct that I moved from tool to tool. It worked very well, much better than the results I am currently getting.
    When you say "duct" you mean "hose"? I think of duct as rigid, and hose as flexible. Allowing of course for flexible duct, which is metal.
    I ran 12' of 5" hose also and it worked fine, though I found my trashcan separator leaked too much to be useful. The SSD is probably a much better choice; my vacuum DD is great.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 04-01-2015 at 7:18 AM.

You might want to look into the Dust Right System offered by Rockler to seeif that would serve your purpose. I have the 4" dia. expandable hose that will extend to 21' that I attach as needed to each of my shop equipment. I like it as Check it out, if you already haven't. It's an inexpensive system that works well & it doesn't clutter up your shop with a ductwork system.

Also, depending on the micron particulate size your dust collector is rated at, you might also want to consider an air filtration system that will filter down to .5 microns. Depending on the SFCM capacity, as determmined by the size of your shop, there are units that can be installed & then taken with you for your new location.
    Last edited by Al Launier; 04-01-2015 at 7:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    When you say "duct" you mean "hose"? I think of duct as rigid, and hose as flexible. Allowing of course for flexible duct, which is metal.
    I ran 12' of 5" hose also and it worked fine, though I found my trashcan separator leaked too much to be useful. The SSD is probably a much better choice; my vacuum DD is great.
    You are correct, I should have said hose.

Trashcan separator. I had my SSD on top of an old, somewhat beat up 55 gallon drum. I sealed it with some heavy duty material from Home Depot. Basically the V shaped plastic draft blocker you use on dooes, but, much thicker and made of a very pliable material. I think it even had a metal wore running through it to help shape it. Glued that to the top of the barrel with Goop and never looked back.