Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good price on newer tools?

Good price on newer tools?

I've been needing to upgrade from some pretty worthless tools to ones I can actually use and found a deal on a Craftsman Professional 10" hybrid table saw and 6" jointer with the 48" bed. I don't know the model numbers off hand so this may be a short post, but I've looked at them and can tell they've been used by someone that cared for and took care of his tools. The previous owner was a retired Craftsman rep so his shop was all top-of-the-line Craftsman. His son is asking $1100 for the two tools and all accessories, which I thought was pretty steep, but the jointer comes with several sets of knives and the saw comes with 30-something blades, at least 7 different dado sets, wobble blades, various jigs, etc. All the blades are in good shape and the ones that aren't 'new' have the date they were sharpened written on them. He's also throwing in some random 'stuff' from the shop - new/unused ball bearing drawer slides, fishing rods, a box of door knobs, deadbolts and other hardware, etc.

The son is trying to sell them for his mother so she can sell the place, but they aren't in any hurry. I looked at them almost a year ago and walked away, but they won't budge on the $1100 even now. The difference today is my lovely bride is tired of excuses and is ready for some new furniture and wants to buy them for my birthday. Question is, is this a fair asking price?

I don't know what model they are but just go price these tools new and see what they cost! Also if the saw and jointer blades are in good shape that's worth quite a bit too.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

not to sure on these particular tools, but I would say a 6 inch jointer around 200-250, value, you can get decent contractor saws for 3-400 and a cabinet saw for 7-1000 the blades I am not sure on value depends if they are expensive blades or cheap blades. without accessories I would say the price is high, but the accessories may make it worthwhile.

Not sold in a year, answers your question. Not knowing the model, can't strait up say, but I'd go 800 max and that's pushing it.

The blades might or might not be worth anything, all depends on what they are. $1100 is way high for a cman TS and joiner, move on.

Can't imagine the need for 7 different dado sets.... I wouldn't attach any value to a wobble-style dado set.

As others have said, I think $1100 is high for Craftsman gear, even with all the accessories. But I suppose there is something to be said for finding a bunch of gear in one spot. Saves some hassle of procuring it as separates.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

The specific model #s are pretty important to evaluating the set. If the hybrid saw is the 22124 (actual Biesemeyer fence, full enclosure) or the 22116 (Biese clone fence, granite top, full enclosure) they'd be worth in the $450-$600 range used if in good condition IMO. If it's a 22104 or 22114 deduct another $100-$200. If it's a current 21833 it'd be worth $250-$300 max if it doesn't have the alignment issue. Most used 6" jointers go in the $200-$300 range. Used blades aren't usually worth much, unless they're really nice blades that are in excellent shape. You can always wave a fair cash offer to them, and let them keep the other stuff.....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You really need to know the model numbers so you can see what they are selling for in your area. Clearly, if they are still sitting there after a year, the prices are too high. I'd find out the actual value, maybe throw a little bit on for the blades and make an offer. They either take it or they don't so you're not out anything. I wouldn't pay more than $750-800 for that. Really, do you need that many blades? Are you actually ever going to use them?

Too much. We're talking Craftsman here, not Powermatic, OK?
    "Top of the line" Craftsman is still the lower end of the spectrum in ww'ing equipment.
    7 different Dado sets? I guess you could sell 6 of them.
    30 blades? You'll have 25 too many.
    I guess you could sell them for like $10 bucks a piece.
    You don't have enough value in the blades to up the price more than $200 IMO.

My recommendation (from someone who's bought a fair amt of equip new and used): PASS.

Instead, I would check these out:
    Grizzly 2HP hybrid tablesaw $775 delivered.
    Grizzly 6" jointer $534 delivered.

$1309 for brand new and better machines.

I guess if you're stuck on the Craftsman, then $800 tops for both.

I agree with the thoughts on the jointer - I don't think it is worth what they are asking even with the 4-5 sets of new knives. The TS is a different story and I really think it might be worth it, especially since it has a Biesenmeyer fence, tons of blades and some jigs. I don't remember if it is the full cabinet saw or a hybrid - I think hybrid, but not sure. Reviews I have read on this line of tools are complimentary and they appear to be quality tools in every respect. As a package deal though I'm having a hard time not wanting it - the tools appear to be setup correctly and are ready to use (I will confirm that in my shop, of course) and they are just a couple of miles from home so i don't have to have them shipped. I also can't say for sure that $1100 spent elsewhere would get me the same tool quality or new capabilities in my shop, especially not when I would have to ship it or go on a roadtrip to pick it up. I offered $800 last year, but they are firm on the price. I'm willing to pay a small premium since it is local, and that premium appears to be $300. I will try to talk them down again. Maybe they'll be ready to budge on the price now.

Way too much money for Sears.

Read what Rob't. Engel posted. He is spot on.

The Biese fence came stock pnly on their 22124 hybrid made by Steel City/Orion, so that's a safe assumption unless he added the fence to a different model. It was a well regarded saw that had a lot of fans....cabinet mounted trunnions, great fence, 1.75hp, 12" solid cast wings, full enclosure, serpentine belt drive, accepts Delta inserts, ~ 425#....I loved mine. I sold it for $600 with a router and a router table included. If that is the saw, that means they're asking way too much for the jointer and extras IMO. Good luck!

Last edited by scott spencer; 04-01-2015 at 9:49 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Go to the bank and get eight $100 bills. Take out your money and say "will you take $800 in cash?" Be sure to take the money out first before making the offer. Be polite. If still no, thank them, put the cash back in your pocket and go home.

I wouldnt pay $1100 for those tools under any circumstances. Honestly, even $800 is too high but local does save time.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Instead, I would check these out:
    Grizzly 2HP hybrid tablesaw $775 delivered.
    Grizzly 6" jointer $534 delivered.
    This seems like a much better way to go if you want something quick and easy. Or if you want better equipment you could spend some time and find a used saw that's a much much better deal.

Getting local is nice, but if you don't have a truck you've still got the same hassle to get them to your house as if they were an hour away. If you do have a truck, an hours drive is easily worth it.

Scott - that sounds like the same saw. When I last talked to the seller he said they wanted $550 each. If that is still true I think the saw is worth it and will take it at that price, but after looking around online I will probably pass on the jointer unless they'll take $200 for it. The only info I can find on Craftsman Professional jointers is from a few years ago when they still made and sold them. They were made by Orion and parts on older models were no longer available. One poster said that his local Sears was clearancing them out for $310 in 2012 or 2013. This one would probably be well worth $200, but if they won't budge on the jointer and I can get the saw and accessories for $550 I will pass on the jointer and have enough left over to go pick up a new G0452P at the Grizzly store in Springfield.

Thanks for the thoughts y'all! Hopefully y'all have saved me from spending too much on not enough tool. I'm really looking forward to working with flat wood again!