Thread: North State 15" planer

North State 15" planer

Does anyone know much about North State planers? I am looking at buying a 15" North State planer that was made in the mid 1990's. It looks like it is a Jet clone import. Were these good quality planers? I will be upgrading from a Dewalt DW735 planer. My main goal of upgrade is to be able to take a heaver cut so I can reduce planing time & increase the width of my cut. I also would like to get something that has less snipe than my dewalt. Would this planer be a good upgrade? I have read some information that the Jet planers will leave roller marks on the boards when taking a light cut. Does anyone find that to be a big problem? Thanks for the help.

Jeremy

It looks like a clone as you said. And as you may know there were many many clones that are the same, sans color.

I have the Jet version from about the same time period and am happy with it. It's a beast compared to any lunchbox planer. Serrated roller marks can be dialed out for about 95% of cuts - all but the lightest of cuts.

I'd go for it if the price is right. I got mine for about $300 but it has surface rust on most parts which I cleaned.

Most of the Planers and Jointers are made by Gee Tech and private labels for different companies, Northstate is one of the companies. You can also look at the Woodtec brand sold thru Woodworkers supply, they may look similar to the Northstate brand. I would buy the Northstate brand, I have some of their tools and are good quality.

LeNeave Supply in Charlotte NC was and still is the distributor for this machine. It's their "house brand." They direct import and sell machines, along with the major brands. Google them.

So I ended up buying the planer today. I think that I got a fair deal on it. My next question do you think that the 15" planer is worth upgrading to a byrd head? The knives still have some life left to them, but they will need sharpened / replaced soon. What are your thought about upgrading to a byrd cutter?

For sure if you've got the cash. I'd do it just hasn't been a priority right now.

Yes I think the Byrd Head would be a good upgrade for your machine, well worth it in my own opinion. Post a picture of your new machine.

I have attached some pictures of the planer that I purchased. I took the base off for transportation, but I might leave it off so I can store it under my table saw extension. Also, is there any good way to adjust the planer to reduce snipe? I noticed on a few of my test cuts that there was a lot of snipe on the in feed cut. From what I read I thought this planer should have less snipe than my dewalt. image-3611752607.jpg
    image-62791596.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images