Thread: Lets chat about roughing gouges

Lets chat about roughing gouges

What size roughing gouge would be appropriate for roughing out smaller projects like tool handles, bottle stoppers, handles for coffee and ice cream scoops, etc. Is a 1" gouge too large for such projects? I haven't found roughers smaller than 3/4" on the interweb, so I was speculating a 1" gouge is useable.

Any education on sizing tools to projects would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

George

Any time my 2" gouge is too big (not often) I just use one of my larger bowl gouges. Do a series of push cuts onto the blank and then smooth between them. Repeat as needed.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

1" roughing gouge will make short work of that size squares. Biggest advantage of the gouge is a lot of cutting surface. It can cut on the "U" to knock off the corners and use the wings to plane the cylinder smooth. I believe there are some small pen roughing gouges, but to rough out a cylinder that will work best. It will cut a 2" one down as well. Continental gouges will also work. I've used the old Sear's black 1" at times.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks guys for the speedy reply!! Much appreciated, George

Standard roughing gouges round up spindles well with a 45 deg? grind.. Also ground to a 75deg. angle they are great on vases, spindles and bowl sides. They do a great finish cut with no chance of a dig in. Unusual but true.

I tend to make smaller items, for example, jewelry and shaving brushes.
    I really like using a "Mark St. Ledger" 5/8" spindle roughing gouge from Thompson Lathe Tools (it is listed under 'other' tools on the site) . The flute is a deep U with wings that are pretty high, and can be used like a skew.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs