Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LV Marking Tool

New LV Marking Tool

This looks great.

The only downside I see is the cost of the number of extension rods I will need to layout an 8' sheet of plywood. That will cost more than the basic 12" tool.

Does anyone have a lower-cost alternative I should be considering before I make the purchase? Or, should I just tee it up?

Thanks in advance..............

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...21&cat=51&ap=1
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Look at the calendar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Is that their April 1 tool? Hmmm... If it is, they should reconsider and sell it for real.

I saw it yesterday on their site and wondered. You can add it to your shopping cart and it shows as "In stock" in their stores. Usually when you try to order their April Fools product, a window pops up to tell you that you've been had.

Doesn't the Woodpecker Story Stick Pro do the same thing? I guess it's your choice, brass and stainless steel, or aluminium and plastic.

Looks like the marking thing is real. Not sure how practical it is given the length and the price.

I think this however is this year's April Fool's Joke: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...30,41182,48944
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    This looks great.

The only downside I see is the cost of the number of extension rods I will need to layout an 8' sheet of plywood. That will cost more than the basic 12" tool.

Does anyone have a lower-cost alternative I should be considering before I make the purchase?
    An 8' long piece of wood and a pencil works good. No stainless steel and brass, but it's worked fine for years. An added benefit is you can label it and keep a record of the layout. A story on a stick so to speak.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I don't know how they come up with these ideas each year. But they're enjoyable to read.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Looks like the marking thing is real. Not sure how practical it is given the length and the price.

I think this however is this year's April Fool's Joke: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...30,41182,48944

Well - I got fooled in reverse. I did not take it seriously...............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Well - I got fooled in reverse. I did not take it seriously...............

I thought it was their April Fool's Joke as well. Seems more like a Woodpecker's tool than Veritas one.

It's real, it was on the site last week, I was looking at it. Looks to be a finely made tool, but strikes me as one of those higher priced boutique solutions. I don't see myself getting it anytime soon, but I wouldn't be at all disappointed if somebody gave me one.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Looks like an expensive story pole, which is how I get rid of scraps around the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Looks like an expensive story pole, which is how I get rid of scraps around the shop.
    An expensive story pole that won't be mistaken for scrap... depending on one's work habits and such, the ability to not masquerade as scrap could be very important.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

14. In general I would gladly take anything from Veritas/Lee Valley, but I'm quite satisfied with my 48" Woodpeckers Story Stick. This rig looks a bit too Baroque for its purpose.

Blog Entries
    Kent,

Did you end up getting one of these?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.