Thread: wood lathes with outriggers or swivel geads

wood lathes with outriggers or swivel geads

Can anyone tell me what a good lathe is with the ability to swivel the head. Most are very expensive,,,I have a rikon 70-100 mini lathe which is great;;;I only wish the head would swivel;;;

The Nova lathes all swivel their heads and are outrigger capable. The prices range from around $1000 to $3000 plus for the lathe models they offer. Add about 230-300 for the outrigger assemblies. Prices vary of course. I have a Nova 1624 with the outrigger for it. It's a nice setup. The lathe was $999 on sale, but then there's shipping and the outrigger so around 1400 for the setup. One thing to consider is why you want the outrigger and how big you plan on going. The outriggers do limit the depth of any outboard turning to the reach of the outrigger arm.
    USMC '97-'01

The Jet 1440VS (Reeves drive) which sells for $1600 with legs and $1300 without and the Grizzly clone G0462 which sells for $700 delivered all have 360 degree rotating heads. Not personally familiar with either, though a friend has two of the earlier Jets as he turns from a wheelchair and the rotation works for him. He does not use the legs as he needs the bed lower.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).