Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Woodturning Deaths?

Interesting some of you are picking on carriers of firearms. To many people it is just as natural as putting on a belt. Lots of people strap a knife on their side or keep one in their pocket. Shoot my dad put on his belt and had a holder for a pair of pliers that he wore every day. Not sure why, except he grew up on a farm, he didn't use that often but it sure came in handy when he needed it. I am a contractor and it is not uncommon to see me with a tape measure strapped on my belt.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-26-2015 at 9:50 PM.

Folks,

We are not going to debate gun carrying at SMC. It's too political.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you, Ken.
    Paul

Just a couple thoughts about the risks we take and accept. We all get into our cars and trucks and drive to work or to the store everyday without a care in the world. Yet people get killed and mangled every single hour of every day, but yet we continue to drive without a second thought. Yes, most of us buckle up, drive the speed limit, and try to be good responsible drivers, but even good drivers can get into bad accidents or killed. As a volunteer firefighter/ems (15 yrs) with a 20 mile stretch of interstate, I seen my share of the mayhem first hand, some preventable, some not. Is wood turning really any different or that dangerous? I think yes and no. There is always some kind of risk in almost all we do everyday when you think about it. I would be willing to bet there are a few on this forum that are wearing a face shield every time they turn on the lathe, but fail to buckle up behind the wheel of their car. One might also use the lathe shield/cage, but then go right out and chainsaw a bowl blank without chaps or face protection. Reducing danger/risk is a choice my friends....... I love to ride motorcycles knowing it is far more dangerous than driving a car or truck, so I have to be more careful in my driving skills, still a higher risk.

Accidents are going to happen, plain and simple, but everyone has to decide I guess what is safe for them in a craft we all seem to enjoy so much. Stay in the Vortex, but think a head just a little bit might prevent a bad day!!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    Interesting some of you are picking on carriers of firearms.
    Definitely not my intention to turn this into a gun debate. My comments were more about "common sense" and safety. We are not familiar with guns because of our Australian legislation so I would never have considered them in a workshop and I would consider now that I do not have any "common sense" about their use, storage, etc.

My apology if I have offended.

No offense. My point is that it is no different than wearing a leatherman combo knife, tape measure or anything else you're accustomed to wearing. It is all safe in the Woodturning shop especially if it is covered with shirt smock or ?? Even if not covered these things would be hard to get caught in woodworking equipment.

The thread is about the fear of death in the shop and in particular the lathe use. It has turned into a good safety discussion.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Ralph's comment was meant to add the bizarre element -- his humor style -- to the conversation. He wasn't really discussing carrying firearms in the wood shop. He's laughing his arse off right now, reading this part of the string.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Seems that put a damper on the discussion.

Lathes probably aren’t the most dangerous “thing” in a wood turners shop – most likely it is the state of housekeeping and our age profile. The typical cause of death for wood turners at the lathe is head injury (TBI). A significant proportion of all hospital admissions for lathe injuries are head & particularly facial injuries.

While researching I came across much thought provoking material, quite a lot about preventing fall type injuries in the over 65 age group. The profile of wood turning enthusiasts differs remarkably from the wider population in that there is an over representation of "older" male persons who like to tinker in messy shops / sheds. The message is quite clear that the increase in fall related injuries is concerning.

“There was an increase in fall-related TBIs among adults aged 65 and older; 46% increase in emergency department visits, 34% increase in hospitalizations, and 27% increase in TBI-related deaths from 2002 to 2006.”

The statistics for fall or “struck by against” related injuries that result in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI's) for persons aged 65 and over is concerning to medical authorities. When we talk about injury data it is impersonal.

“This body of work is a vital tool for those who devise the strategies for prevention and treatment. However, a critical dimension will be lost if one sees it only as data, if one does not try to put even a fleeting face behind the numbers. They represent people who — if they survived — have had their lives significantly affected.” - Claudia L. Osborn, DO, FACOI College Of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University.

There are 14,000 deaths pa and 81,000 admissions and 142,000 ED visits related to TBI in the USA for the over 65 demographic. Approx 61% are fall related, 6% are “struck by against” and 25% “other”.

TBI is a contributing factor to a third (30.5%) of all injury-related deaths in the United States

“About 75% of TBIs that occur each year are concussions or other forms of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI).”

“Direct medical costs and indirect costs of TBI, such as lost productivity, totaled an estimated $60 billion in the United States in 2000.”

Quotes from “Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States.”

I don't often say much on the forum but I guess I will.

I was just thinking of purchasing an old lathe and start to learn how to turn. I realize there are risks associated with working in the woodshop but after reading this thread I realize there things about turning I have no knowledge about and perhaps I should not be buying a lathe. Many years ago I worked in a machine shop and often ran a lathe. While all the equipment in a machine shop is dangerous I always thought the lathe presented the most risk but I did learn to work on it safely because there was someone who was experienced that taught me how to safely run the machine.

The problem as I see it is when work in my shop I am alone and I tend to learn by reading and attending workshops and then trying things out. It seems like a lathe has more to it than other machines. I guess after reading this thread I will reconsider buying a lathe.

Izzy I work on a wood lathe everyday and I do not consider it any more dangerous than most other tools in the shop. The table saw to me is one of the most dangerous woodworking tool. Driving a car is generally dangerous but most of us do it. I learned to turn on my own reading on line and videos. I did several thing wrong but survived. Using common sense, good judgment is a good idea and will keep you out of harms way most of the time. I'm not saying the lathe won't hurt you, but so will the table saw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, etc. Wood turning is a very rewarding endeavor.
    Fred

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Fred and Izzy, your exchange has gotten this back on track. My point is that turning is NOT a life-threatening activity and, with a bit of common sense and instruction from somebody who will provide basic instruction, give it a try. Check the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) website and find the chapter nearest to you.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Well said Fred! Izzy, please read my post above. You can get struck by lightning just walking out the front door, but that's not a reason not to go outside and enjoy yourself outdoors. Just run inside then the storm comes and lightning pops like me! Don't let a few postings here scare from enjoying woodworking of any kind. Respect the tools and the danger they present and be educated on how they work. The lathe and woodturning is my most fun and rewarding part of my wood shop.

Fred and Steve thanks for the encouragement. I am suppose to go look at an Atlas 7112 on Sunday. It is in excellent shape with new bearings and comes with a dozen Buck Brothers tools.
    I know there is a place locally that gives classes on turning there is also a turning group. I guess I will do like I always do just do some reading and be extra cautious and figure it out.
    Thanks again.

All things are relative, but woodturning is dangerous. The lathe is dangerous, and turning requires the use of other dangerous equipment. Here is Richard Raffan in 'Turning wood':

On my left hand I have a scar across two fingers from a bandsaw and one on my thumb from jamming it between the lathe bed and a large platter. On my right hand are three broken knuckles from sanding a large platter (this happened twice), I had a broken nose from a shattering burr elm bowl and a permanent lump from the time I headed a piece of flying teak back towards the lathe. A flying bowl smashed my shatterproof spectacle lens, leaving me with cuts and a black eye. one piece of an exploding 10 inch nearly completed burl bowl took a lump of flesh out of my left forearm, while another hit my face shield and left me dazed......Dust (from pressure treated and spalted wood) affected my breathing

This is the experience of a highly experienced professional, so it's no good pretending that turning is safe. The point is that it didn't stop him and it shouldn't stop any reasonably handy person. People need to understand the processes, recognise the hazards and make sure they know how to control them. Then it is down to being careful. The problem is that very few turners get any training that includes safety, so have to work it out for themselves, using common sense and by watching videos and reading books. Generally you are in control of what you are doing and should work with care and within your confidence level. I think one important rule is to walk before you run - turn only small items until you know what you are doing.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=" I think one important rule is to walk before you run - turn only small items until you know what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Hopefully no one will be put off from turning by reading this thread! If you start small, even total disasters are unlikely to hurt you.
    Small bowls, handles, boxes and pens can be turned very safely. (Ok I won't rule out some 1 in a billion freak accident, but with these constraints you face more danger on the commute to work!)

So jump in, take classes and have fun!