Thread: Flag Display case

Flag Display case

finally decided to build a flag display case for my grandfathers flag. had some spare (what i think is) ~3/16" Bocote, and created this. 2 ebony keys, that i purposefully set a little offset towards the front, to give a little different perspective when looking at it from an angle. (it'll be placed likely inside a bookshelf, so you'll never look at it straight on end).
    Sanded to 400 grit, and Finished with 1 coat of Watco Natural Danish Oil, plus, as of now 6 thin layers of Tung oil (though the picture only has 1 coat).

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. it's a more minimalist build, to let the flag be the prominent thing shown. may build a base for it in the future to inscribe some text.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a niece looking finish for just 1 coat of Watco. The edge profile helps make the stock look thin, thats a clever way to achieve the minimulst look.

Bill

3. I like the minimal amount of wood on the front face. It is like a fine border around the flag.

Very nice looking! You did your grandfather proud.

I like that Bocote. It has a rich deep tone like mahogany but a deeper brown. Did you hand cut the splines or did you jig up on a router table or table saw.

Bill

did it with a Jig on the Unisaw.