Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Of the Titebond wood glues, do you most prefer the red, blue or green?

Of the Titebond wood glues, do you most prefer the red, blue or green?

I've been meaning to ask this here for a while but I now need to get another gallon of glue and before I do, I was curious what the preference is around here. I've only ever used the red bottle - standard stuff. It glues wood together, but are there any real benefits to the blue and green label glues?

I think the greatest difference between TB 1/2/3 is the water resistance. 2 is weather proof, 3 is water proof. Open times vary a little bit.

I found this page on the Titebond website when wondering what glue to use on my workbench. Pretty informative.

http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/Li...deTB.sflb.ashx
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I mostly use TB II.

I use III when I need a ridgid glue line.

I just use TB3, it has a little longer set time, it is strongest of them I think and the thing of it is I never know when I need something that is water proof.
    Just by using the one I never have to worry about what glue to use and I don't have some glue setting around that may get old. When you are paying $8 plus for wood I want the best glue I can use.

I always have I and II on hand simply for the open time difference. If I need a real fast set, the TB Molding and Trim glue is real handy to have.

Once III came out, I used up all my II and haven't bought any since. Now I have I and III on hand always.

Glues are like tools...you might need a few different kinds depending upon what you need to do.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I used to use all of them, then I realized that the I and II were just sitting around and I was almost always using III. I got rid of I and II and only use III now. The open time doesn't really matter to me, I just want the strongest glue I can get and that's it.

I mostly use TB III because I don't heat my shop very warm most of the year, and it has a lower chalk temperature than the others.

Blog Entries
    Like Bill I find it easier to just keep TB-III around. If I see TB-I on sale for a super low price I will grab a bottle and use it where appropriate but, as a rule I K.I.S.S.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I only use Titebond 3 (green). Longer open time, water proof, etc. It basically has all of the attributes I need for the vast majority of my projects. I've never bothered with the others.

Heres a TB glue that I use not many mention it.Its just plain white glue fast set very strong.Hasnt failed me yet.
    I also use all the other colors.
    I my glue cabinet I also have epoxy,spray adhesive,Old brown glue,cyanoacrylate with accelerater.And even rubber cement.Im out of plastic resin right now.Can never have too many glues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Like Bill I find it easier to just keep TB-III around. If I see TB-I on sale for a super low price I will grab a bottle and use it where appropriate but, as a rule I K.I.S.S.

TBIII it is! Interesting take on this. I wondered about the III mainly because it is waterproof, so I was pondering if that would be a bad thing when it came to wiping excess glue off a joint prior to staining. I thought maybe it was harder to come off or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I think the greatest difference between TB 1/2/3 is the water resistance. 2 is weather proof, 3 is water proof. Open times vary a little bit.

I found this page on the Titebond website when wondering what glue to use on my workbench. Pretty informative.

http://www.titebond.com/Libraries/Li...deTB.sflb.ashx
    Great reference! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    I only use Titebond 3 (green). Longer open time, water proof, etc. It basically has all of the attributes I need for the vast majority of my projects. I've never bothered with the others.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    3 is water proof
    I never like calling Tightbond-III "water-proof" - I don't care that it meets some manufacturing "standard." It's still water-soluble and cured/dried can still be completely dissolved in water - Tightbond-III is simply the most "water-resistant" of the three kinds. After all using the word "water-proof" might give someone the idea that they can use it to build a boat!

And for the record I use Elmer's Carpenter's wood glue.

I use TB III almost exclusively because of it's longer open time and its water-proof formula. Occassionally, I'll use TB Original for its fast tack. I really can't see the application for TB II anymore.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln