Thread: Jet JDP-17DX drill press

Jet JDP-17DX drill press

I have a Jet 17" model jdp-17dx drill press, and I have found when using forstner bits that they tend to stall the drill press. When I got this back a couple of years ago, the vendor that sold it to me said it was a very good model,with plenty of power.

Has anyone else had issues of stalling with this large floor model drill press? One would think that a 1.25" forstner bit would not stall this thing out, and I have tried changing speeds from slow to fast and in between and it still just stalls and gives me belt slip.

It is a smooth running machine, and looks great, but it is frustrating when going to do a project and have this happen! I have tried putting different amounts of tension on the belts, but nothing seems to help! Any ideas?

I may call Jet and complain!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Is the motor stalling or is it just the belt slipping?

I have an older Sears (1972) with a very small belt, when I use a 1 1/2 or 2 inch bit I have a problem with the belt slipping if I really try to drill to fast.

I assume that the belt is slipping and that the motor is not stalling, the bit itself is not what slipped, and the chuck / arbor is not slipping. So, step 1 is to see where the fail point is. The primary advice I see in the manual is to adjust the belt tension. Make sure that your belts are not worn, dirty, or greasy. Some people even recommend belt dressing and cleaning the pulleys with some alcohol or some other cleaner / solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I assume that the belt is slipping and that the motor is not stalling, the bit itself is not what slipped, and the chuck / arbor is not slipping. So, step 1 is to see where the fail point is. The primary advice I see in the manual is to adjust the belt tension. Make sure that your belts are not worn, dirty, or greasy. Some people even recommend belt dressing and cleaning the pulleys with some alcohol or some other cleaner / solvent.
    Thanks Andrew.........I will have to give that a try.

Just an update......finally spoke with a Jet tech person, and he walked me through the problem. Up on top of the pulleys on the spindle there is a shaft with threads on it that is supposed to have a lock nut that puts pressure on the entire spindle and keep the torque in the cut........that nut was missing from the factory on my drill press.

They are sending a nut for it and new belts as well............hope that takes care of the problem........this was good customer service from Jet Tools!