Thread: Black Walnut bowl

Smile Black Walnut bowl

Returned and finished one of my smaller rough turned bowls, an 28cm/11" Black Walnut, turned the wall to about 8mm/5/16” thick, while keeping the rim at 18mm, almost 3/4” wide, with an outside edge and undercut inside.

It has now two coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it and I will let it harden a few weeks before polishing it.

The pictures are not bringing out the bowls nice wood grain look, as the dark color seems to absorb light like a sponge, sorry about not getting better pictures than this.

All comments welcome as always

Black Walnut bowl.jpg Black Walnut profile.jpg Black Walnut bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

very nice Leo, really like the shape and uplift of the bottom

I always love Black Walnut. Not turning and sanding, but love the finished product. As always, a beautiful bowl Leo.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very, very nice. I'm partial to walnut myself.

Always like to see what you post Leo. Just a beautifully done piece.

Yes sir Leo, nice work indeed. Would sure like to see it again after you finish with the polish too.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Cameras can never capture all the beauty of Mother Nature's creations , but you sure cane make those woods into beautiful bowls. Great craftmanship Leo
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Beautiful bowl. Great looking wood. I like the way you made the rim.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice Leo, really like the shape and uplift of the bottom
    This is what I noticed too. Wonderful gentle curve up and around. Nice detail on the lip as well. Hard to beat walnut.

Doug

I really like the rim appearance. I bet anyone lifting the bowl is surprised at the light weight after looking at the rim. The little external bead and undercut work well together. Very nice job all around.

Very nice ogee shape on this bowl Leo and I love the rim detail. As always, excellent craftsmanship. It will be interesting to see how the tung oil makes the grain pop. Make sure you treat us to a picture of that too!

Thanks All for you kind replies, it is appreciated, and I will bow to your wishes and repost some pictures after the bowl has had a polishing treatment
    Have fun and take care