Thread: Turning Tool Roll Recommendations?

I've got enough tools and no permanent tool rack yet that I'm concerned about their welfare. I'm still working on my shop so it will be a while before I have something in place. I have also been traveling to some workshops that my local club arranges. This wasn't too bad when I had smaller tools as I could throw them in a tool bag. But especially with the addition of a Thompson scraper and skew I need a different solution. Can anyone recommend a tool roll?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Our club president bought this one from Woodcraft
    146131.jpg
    $25 holds 12 tools up to 28" long. I've been thinking of buying one too. I need to carry three or four handled tools, two or three handles and several bladed that would fit those handles. My scrapers, skews, and SRG all have flat tangs and are in permanent handles while pretty much every thing else uses removable handles.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have tried a tool roll. I prefer a 5 gallon bucket as it makes a great storage container while turning. Much easier when there is no table to set a tool roll on.
    IMG_0571 (Small).JPG
    God is great and life is good!

Sweet talk the wife? Sew it yourself?
    My wife made mine, then hers, then... she makes one every year as one of the presents the local club gives out at Christmas
    Only problem with mine is it's a touch larger then it needs to be.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Bucket is a neat idea. Hadn't seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Sweet talk the wife? Sew it yourself? My wife made mine, then hers, then... she makes one every year as one of the presents the local club gives out at Christmas Only problem with mine is it's a touch larger then it needs to be.
    I like that idea. Wish my wife liked to see like the rest of her family! I gave her a sewing machine for Christmas one year since we didn't have one and she still haven't let me live it down. She has other wonderful traits though.

If it's larger than it needs to be doesn't that mean you don't have enough tools???

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Bucket is a neat idea. Hadn't seen that before.

I like that idea. Wish my wife liked to see like the rest of her family! I gave her a sewing machine for Christmas one year since we didn't have one and she still haven't let me live it down. She has other wonderful traits though.

If it's larger than it needs to be doesn't that mean you don't have enough tools???
    Ellen has five sewing machine and her own lathe....

The roll she made me is so large if I filled it I probably couldn't lift if.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I made this bucket toolholder several years ago, it is a 20L juice bucket, made to take my tools along and now it sits usually next to the lathe I happen to use.

I sawed a plywood disk for the bottom and another that sits higher up, drilled holes for plastic tubing that keep the tools upright, it get a little heavy but haven’t found a better and easier way to keep store and transport my tools yet.

Turning tool bucket.jpg
    Have fun and take care

I have a bucket on wheels for use in my shop, but I also have this roll for trips.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,330,56743
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I have a bucket on wheels for use in my shop, but I also have this roll for trips.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,330,56743
    That is a nice tool roll Grant, looks like real good Lee Valley quality 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Here is link to early bucket design that I made when I only had a mini lathe - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ign&highlight= A 5 gallon bucket with PVC pipe does seem to be the norm, but a roll is also handy when you are flying or just carrying a few tools. I bought one from Peachtree or similar several years back and used it once, and today could not find it to use to take some extra tools for a demo next week. One caution about tool roll is that some of the larger bowl gouges with long handles will not fit.