Thread: 30 gauge beaded metal duct

30 gauge beaded metal duct

Started the quest for ducting and came across this at the local HD:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Fl...-204143771-_-N

Has anyone used this? Picked a piece tonight as a sample and it seems relatively stout although the beads do break up the usual smoothness a bit.

i found several threads regarding 30 gauge but nothing specific to this beaded stuff so I'm seriously wondering....

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Keep looking until you find 26 ga, it isn't worth it.
    NOW you tell me...

Before buying 30 gauge check out post #44 in this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=30+gauge . Former Moderator John Keeton accidentally IIRC got 30 gauge and it collapsed.

There are those here that will say 30 gauge works but here's an SMC member's photographs where 30 gauge failed.

There are members who went to some pretty elaborate plywood hangars to prevent the collapse.

I wouldn't use it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-03-2015 at 1:43 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John, I just did some testing using 30ga. Here is the results of the testing I did.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing&highlight=

You don't need elaborate hangers, however it is more a pain to make work. I will use the 30ga using plywood hangers, but knowing what I know now I would use 26ga for my straight pipe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

yes, I saw the thread and read it. I do not plan on using regular 30 gauge but this BEADED stuff caught my attention. It has to be some degree stronger but how much...
    Last edited by John Donofrio; 04-03-2015 at 7:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donofrio View Post
    yes, I saw the thread and read it. I do not plan on using regular 30 gauge but this BEADED stuff caught my attention. It has to be some degree stronger but how much...
    Not sure if you have a Furgersons in your area. I have one here and from memory the 26ga was around $8.00 for 5'. I only paid $5.00 for a 5' section. I bought 20 five foot sections, so a $60 savings, but added installation time. I'm sure the beading would help, but I would use the plywood rings regardless. The wyes I got from Lowes were 28ga. From the testing I did I didn't see any deflection in any of the ells, wyes, or reducers. Only the straight pipe deformed. The real savings is in the fittings, not the straight pipe. Knowing what I know now I would buy 26ga straight pipe, but would use the BORG fittings. Rotating the seam side to top does provide some added resistance. However when I slammed the gate shut (trying to simulate a sudden plug) is when the real trouble starts.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

If your state is one of the ones where anyone off the street can buy stuff from a dedicated HVAC supplier, they will sell heavier stuff for less than you can buy the low priced spread at a big box store. For instance a 2-1/2 x 12 90 degree six inch boot, that fit the outlet on one of my planers perfectly was $2.54 at such a supplier.

The Fergusons in the areas said they only have standard 30ga but they did refer me to another local distributor, East Coast Metal. Called them and here's the sample I asked him to quote:

7" x 5' 26ga snaplock = 12.40
    6" x 5' 26ga snaplock = 9.95
    7x6x6 wye = 9.55

Wow, I paused since I thought he was joking or had the wrong item... and these are walk in prices! He added that given enough quantity this could be adjusted downward a bit.

Time to develop a more accurate BOM and see if this really pans out.

Tom you jumped in while I was typing the last post....

Your theory seems to be holding up. Definitely going to pursue this ave.

I had stuff in the truck that I had just bought from Home Depot, but needed a more specialized piece, so found Airtec, in South Hill, Va. I compared a few prices off the HD invoice I had, and carried it all straight back to HD. Prices were less than half.

The Fergusons in the areas said they only have standard 30ga but they did refer me to another local distributor, East Coast Metal. Called them and here's the sample I asked him to quote:

7" x 5' 26ga snaplock = 12.40
    6" x 5' 26ga snaplock = 9.95
    7x6x6 wye = 9.55

Wow, I paused since I thought he was joking or had the wrong item... and these are walk in prices! He added that given enough quantity this could be adjusted downward a bit.

Time to develop a more accurate BOM and see if this really pans out.
    Hope this holds true for you. When I was investigating for my set up I got great prices over the phone from the local HVAC supplies for 26 gauge, when I heard such low prices I verified they were for 26 gauge they said yes so I went in and when I started ordering it turned out not one of the prices was accurate. Most of the prices were double or triple what I was quoted.

Blog Entries
    I got great pricing on 26 ga duct and fittings from my local HVAC supply house, but then my son is the manager .
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I got great pricing on 26 ga duct and fittings from my local HVAC supply house, but then my son is the manager .
    Nice. I have less connections than a blind guy's connect the dots book.