Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Workers make me shake my head

Home Depot Workers make me shake my head

Today, I put together my new band saw. It was wired for 220v and didn't come with a cord or plug. So off to Home Depot I go. I buy 10/3 wire and a plug and head back home. I wire the saw up and after finishing putting everything together, I want to fire up the saw to test it out. The plug I bought wouldn't fit into the plug in the wall. I mistakenly bought a 20A plug and the wall outlet has a 30A receptacle. So back to Home Depot I go. Of course, I can't find the right plug so a worker about 65 years old asks if he can help. I explain what I need and he starts asking me questions about what I need the plug for. I tell him its for my band saw. He asks how many amps does the saw use and I tell him its wired for 220v and the motor pulls 10 amps. He says, I'm no electrician but you can't do that. You'll trip the breaker or worse, burn up your motor. I look at him puzzled and then I said, with your way of thinking, if I have a 20 amp receptacle in my house and I plug a lamp into it rated for less than 1 amp, I'll trip the breaker or burn up my lamp? The saw motor only uses 10 amps. I have 30 amps available but I won't be using 30 amps of power. He says, well here's the right plug but just be careful. You don't want to start a fire. I took the plug and left. When I got home, I wired it up and the saw works fine.

so a worker about 65 years old asks if he can help.
    Wow I've never not had to go on safari to track one down and he approached you?

Rob, did the guy have full facial hair? Sounds like with little TV work now .....Smokey Bear might have a part time job.

I get the same thing from the people at my local Lowe's. I don't like going there unless I don't have an option, but it's funny to hear their logic when I know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by David B Thornton View Post
    I get the same thing from the people at my local Lowe's. I don't like going there unless I don't have an option, but it's funny to hear their logic when I know what I'm talking about.
    Sometimes even when I don't know much about the topic the big box logic still throws me for a loop. (example buy this 1/2" connector to fit your 3/4" pipe....)

If they know something helpful you can't find them but if they are clueless and unable to offer real help you can't beat them off with a stick. I go to Home Depot if I want low prices and Platt if I want an intelligent conversation on my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    If they know something helpful you can't find them but if they are clueless and unable to offer real help you can't beat them off with a stick. I go to Home Depot if I want low prices and Platt if I want an intelligent conversation on my needs.
    Pay the extra and go to your local (Platt) store or they may not be there when you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lovell View Post
    Pay the extra and go to your local (Platt) store or they may not be there when you need them.
    EXCELLENT point. If you're looking for knowledgeable advice in any big box store, you're looking in the wrong place.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Well just stand back when you power it up, because one of these times it is going to splode.

You're feeding it 3x the amps it needs.

A very dangerous situation.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear that you didn't burn down your shop running that 10 amp saw on a 30 amp breaker. Just be sure your wiring is rated for the possibility of a 30 amp draw in the future when you upgrade to a bigger saw.

I've been to both big box stores and on more than one occasion, I've overheard really bad advice being given to a customer. I've waited until the "helper" leaves and then correct the advice. I have encountered a few employees that actually do know what they are talking about as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My perspective when I go to a big box store is that they are a vast warehouse with many aisles and shelves which can sometimes be confusing.

The only help that I expect and trust is where to find something. I do not expect that anyone will actually help me with a technical question. There was a time that knowledgeable people were available but the late 80's is no longer with us.

12. Every single home depot "associate" I've encountered has been entirely unhelpful. Not because they aren't nice people, but because they're just people working a job that don't really have a passion for what their doing.

Except this one guy... He usually works the plumbing section, but if I have to ask him where something is he can tell me. If I walk in and spout off compression vs MPT vs solder vs etc etc he can follow along and gets the gist of what I'm looking for. I make sure I'm always nice to him.

Big bearded guy with long hair and a bandanna. Super nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Wow I've never not had to go on safari to track one down and he approached you?

Mike,

I have found a sure fire way to get someone to help you at the orange box store. Find one of those big rolling ladder things and start walking up the stairs being sure to make a little noise. The employees have apparently been trained to stop customers from being on them ( most likely for liability reasons) and they will be at your side in seconds telling you that you cannot climb them. I acknowledge their presence and then ask them to help me find the item I am looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Wiesendahl View Post
    Every single home depot "associate" I've encountered has been entirely unhelpful. Not because they aren't nice people, but because they're just people working a job that don't really have a passion for what their doing.

Except this one guy... He usually works the plumbing section, but if I have to ask him where something is he can tell me. If I walk in and spout off compression vs MPT vs solder vs etc etc he can follow along and gets the gist of what I'm looking for. I make sure I'm always nice to him.

Big bearded guy with long hair and a bandanna. Super nice too.
    My local BORG employs a couple of electricians (one retired, one just trying to pickup some extra cash) so those isles are covered pretty well.

Beyond that, few of the people working at Home Depot are homeowners or have any experience with the sorts of projects customers hope to accomplish.

On the rare occasion they do find someone qualified, they seem incapable of keeping them employed for any period of time.

William, I tried that. Made it to the top and started belting out some show tunes. Crowd went wild and wouldn't let me
    off stage for two hours!!