Thread: 4" to 6" Planer Dust Collection conversion and blast gates

4" to 6" Planer Dust Collection conversion and blast gates

Just thought I would share. I went from the standard 4" straight out DC port on my Grizzly 15" planer to a 6" 45o port. I used 16ga that was rolled an welded to the 6" PVC opening. It was then inserted with a bit of cutting into the hood and welded. I then used a 45o6" PVC fitting to get me back to 90o to be able to reach my lateral on the ceiling. Also made my first and second blast gates. I am still in the process of getting my new DC system up and running....Seems like everything takes forever and a day to complete sometimes....and the fact that I have a "honey do" list to work on at the same time does not help.

IMG_4145.jpg IMG_4147.jpg

You should reap big benefits from this upgrade.

Very impressive, do you have any in process, layout, setup, etc?

David

David, what in process. The blast gates or the planer hood??

Mike, I am hoping so. My prior DC was pitiful too say the least. I am now hoping to do it once and for all (until a change is needed) and do it right. I went with the heavier PVC (was easier to find be me... The S&D is special order). This also works great as new decorative columns in the shop now. I am also retro fitting my TS with a new dual 4" DC setup.

Similar move for me. I just went from a 1 hp single stage with 4" ductwork ( that was horribly planned by yours truly) to a 3 hp Grizzly cyclone with 6" mains and drops with some 4" drops and 2 1/2' drops to use as a vacuum at various locations. Just got a new filter today ( free under warranty because the original kept jamming due to tines on brush being bent). It is still not fully set up and sealed up but it has already made woodworking much more enjoyable. Hope your experience works out like mine has.

Mike, I hope mine works out also..lol Sounds like we have similar systems. I have a 5hp ClearVue with 6" mains. So far the only 4" is where I split off to the 2 ports on the TS. one to the main DC port and I will be taking off the plastic motor cover and adding the 2nd port on to a new plywood motor cover. I am hoping to catch most of the dust from there. Also have to build an enclosure for my Router which is built into the TS extension. This will also have a 6" port going to it. I also made a 6" port for my jointer. I figured if I can I should. I have a few more tools to hit, and I am trying to get 6" pipe to them also. I Just got the planer hooked up and sealed and pulled most of the electrical for the DC. I built a Wireless remote control so I can be lazy. I could not see spending the $$ on the ClearVue remote when I could build it for what turned out to be $5 in parts and what I had on hand. I did the same with the filter clean out ClearVue wanted like $80 for their cleanout..$10 in parts and some left over MDF took care of that.

Hope the new filter works out. Sucks when you have to wait on things ...esp. warranty items.

I used to have a Woodmaster 18" planer, and the 4" opening was not adequate, so I changed to a 6". Sold it when I bought a 15" Grizzly, and hooked the Grizzly up with 4", and it worked well. So I did not change mine. I have a 2 hp cyclone. Did remove the foam strip under the hood. Did not try the planer before removing the foam.

I have a 20" Grizz and for some reason they decided to put a 5" port on it, so I just made a 1/2" donut to get up to 6". BTW Nice CA shield lol....
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Jesse, The CA shield is a shop accessory. I also have an Iron Man mask laying around. All prototypes of course

Jim, I ran mine with the foam strip for a bit. I had chips everywhere. But I am guessing that had more to do with my inadequate DC then the foam. I have one more connection to make on the electrical and I can fire the DC up for the first time. I would like to get a few more blast gates made and I can start using it.

Awesome planer hood mod. I've been thinking of how to upgrade mine from 4 to 6....however I have no welding skills so mine definitely won't turn out as awesome as yours. Any in progress pics would be awesome so I could see your methodology.

Nicely done!