Thread: Mulberry Crotch Dish

Mulberry Crotch Dish

This is from an ornamental fruitless mulberry tree that my brother had cut down. It is 6 inches by 1 inch, finished with EEE and shellawax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well done Toby ! Great result, love the grain.

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Very nice, love the color and the grain.

Nicely done. Grain pattern is different from usual crotch sections. Enjoy the yellow now, because it will be getting darker very soon. I haven't heard of any way to keep the yellow of Mulberry except possibly keeping it in the dark.

Very nice, it looks like a large centipede in the middle.

Wow, beautiful color and grain on this, and a great looking bowl as well.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Will be interesting to see how the color change effects it.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

8. When my son bought a house a couple of years ago, he asked for a natural edge bowl as a house warming present from me, so I had some yellow mulberry on hand and he liked it. After two years in his living room, which gets plenty of light through the windows [the bowl is not sitting in direct sunlight] it is still nice and yellow..........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice Job Toby. Love that color and you captured the flame well.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Beautiful. Good job positioning the grain.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Thanks all. I do have a 2 year old bowl from a red mulberry tree that is now more of a cherry/orange color. I assume that this one will darken also.

You did one fine job with that Mulberry! I have never turned Mulberry but a friend turns it a lot.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I love the yellow color of mulberry, and that's a nice bowl form. Some of the first pieces I turned were mulberry and I did a simple DO and hand-buffed wax finish. The color has 'matured' nicely to a medium brown. The first pic was taken June 2nd of last year. The other one just now.

mulberry vase 1.jpgmulberry vase 2.jpg