Thread: Replacing DeWalt Miter Saw and Craftsman RAS

Replacing DeWalt Miter Saw and Craftsman RAS

I have an older DeWalt compound miter saw (DW705) and an even older Craftsman RAS. Both are running fine but the RAS doesn't seem to be able to hold cross-cut accuracy, while the miter saw just lacks capacity both under the blade and for width of cut. I've been looking at the 12 inch gliding miter saw from Bosch (GCM12SD). They are claiming to be able to cross-cut a 4X14 block. That seemingly would meet my needs.

Would it make sense to sell off the DW705 and the RAS and go with the Bosch glider? I really could use the extra space in the shop this would give me.
    Wood'N'Scout

Yep. Makes total sense. Go for it.

Indeed it makes sense. Do you plan on mounting it permanently or on a portable stand?

I'll chime in with a third "Yep". I've got the same DeWalt CMS, and an upgrade to a Bosch Glide is in the cards for this year or next. I don't have the challenge of trying to keep a RAS aligned though...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I don't know if it will happen again, but at Christmas time, both big box stores had the 12" Bosch Glide for $500 for a while.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the DeWalt slider also but got a chance to get a Bosch for a great price so I set the DeWalt under the bench and now use the Bosch (with the DeWalt blade) Works great and I have a back up is ever needed.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I retired a 30-year-old Delta 10" RAS and replaced it with a 12" Bosch 5312-RT slider a few years ago, before the GCM12SD came out. The Bosch has plenty of power to go with its dimensional capacity, and it's a lot easier to keep perfectly aligned. It also seems a lot safer than the radial arm saw did. The only thing wrong with the 5312-RT is that the dust collection setup is poor when attached to a good dust extractor, and the dust collection bag it comes with is useless. I think the GCM12SD has better a better design to reduce dust.

As far as I know, only a 12 or 14" RAS will cut a 4" x 14" block. I think the Bosch Glide's reference to 14" capacity is not specific but I'll bet it's with no more than nominal 2X material.

John

I've been considering the same thing. I have an old Ryobi RAS and a Hitachi double bevel 12 inch non-slider. A Hitachi non-slider would be less expensive but looks like it has to stand further from the wall. To me that is a key criteria because the saw will normally be used in the shop on a fixed bench. The Bosch glider looks like it wouldn't be bad. Some dimensions would really help, however.

For now, I am planning to reinstall my two saws but put them on a cabinet that I can adapt to a future change. Money is part of the reason. But I also like having a RAS. I use it with a dado blade to rough tenons on long pieces. The Ryobi is OK for accuracy but I have to check it quite a bit and pull it just right. I believe the Bosch can be adjusted for depth to do things like my tenon cuts, I know the Hitachi can. It's nice to have choices. In my case, two saws don't really take more space because the bench will be 8 feet long or more anyway. I want the length for flip stops. It will probably end up 12 feet long.

UPDATE: Thanks for all the confirmations. I placed the order for the saw this morning with CPO Outlets. I plan on getting rid of the RAS (a friend of mine wants it) and using the DeWalt as a back up and for mobile applications. I will need to modify my cutting bench slightly to get the Bosch to fit since it seems to be much wider than the DeWalt it's replacing. I have wanted to modify the bench anyway to improve dust collection so I'll do that at the same time. Pictures to follow.
    Wood'N'Scout