Thread: Custom Built Guide Rail Deflector for Festool Track Saw Guide Rail

Custom Built Guide Rail Deflector for Festool Track Saw Guide Rail

Finally got tired of dealing with the poorly designed Festool Guide Rail Deflector. I decided to try my hand at making my own. I wanted several must have features which were missing from Festool's version, namely -

1) - Extend the entire width of the guide rail
    2) - Eliminate the hump caused by the attachment thumb screw
    3) - Provide higher & longer end walls to prevent hose ride-over
    4) - Have end walls flare outward to more easily guide hose coming in from sides
    5) - Allow access to the clamping slot while deflector is attached to rail (indispensable when clamping the rail to material for rip cuts)

To accomplish these goals the deflector would have to be considerably larger, but I wanted to keep the amount of additional track loss to a minimum. The original deflector takes up 1-1/4" of track, my version increased that to 1-1/2".

I produced this out of MDF and used the feather key from the original deflector with a M4 x 12mm button head machine screw recessed in a 3/8" counter bore to lock the deflector to the track. It requires a 2.5mm hex key to tighten.
    See last photo for painted version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Largest private sawdust producer in Huntington, NY

Very well made Bob. Any reason why you couldn't install that fastener with a knob underneath instead of having to use a hex key? I don't have any Festool stuff so I don't know the system so this question may be a bit dof.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Any reason why you couldn't install that fastener with a knob underneath instead of having to use a hex key?
    Thought of doing that, not possible, would have had to anchor the receiving bolt into the mdf with a machine nut & there is not enough depth of material remaining after routing depth slot to receive feather key
    Largest private sawdust producer in Huntington, NY

Cool thanks.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"