Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is woodworking gaining or losing popularity?

Is woodworking gaining or losing popularity?

Do you think woodworking is gaining or losing popularity these days?

I'm afraid that it's losing popularity, and more of a thing from a day long ago rather than a thing today. I think younger people are more into video games and flying drones than trying to create wood furniture or other things from wood.

Curious for your thoughts on the subject.

It's sad,but I agree. I live in Tampa and take my (now 8 year old) son to the woodworking show every year. Iam 44 and definetly one of the youngest people there. Myson is practically the talk of the show, as he is one of maybe 3 or 4 kids there. There was a group of very nice wood turners and one man taught my son how to make a pen. Attracted more attention than the Sawstop demo! It was a little insipring this year as I did see a few families as opposed to previous years. I tried joining a local woodworking group last year, but honestly felt out of place as probably 90% of the group was retired. I realize I live in Florida with an older population, but Ioften think this is a fading hobby. Sure hope I'm wrong! With no wood shop in schools, not much opportunity for youth to get exposed.

Blog Entries
    My two-year-old daughter already can say "bandsaw" and "plane." The funny thing is she saw a picture of a Stanley No 3, pointed to it, and said, "Plane!" I didn't teach her that and we can't figure out how she knew. I am hoping she takes an interest but of course I will not force her. I build wood surfboards, so certainly she will help build a board for herself, and I figure that will spark some interest.

The interest appears to be fading, but I think as boys become men and put down the video games, they will still take interest. Veritas and Lie-Nielsen are doing well, and there is certainly a revival going on at the moment.

It's a hobby that people who own houses take up.

The Bromance of old tools aside, you need a place
    for this sort of thing. If you live in an apartment,
    that's precious real estate.

i think that it is losing popularity. In general, it appears that young people are doing less of mechanical things too. When I was a kid(that sounds strange), many boys wanted to fool with engines and cars and you see very little of that now and it is not really possible with car and small engines.

A lot of schools have also dropped shop programs. All of this is unfortunate as there is a real need for hands on people in all kinds of jobs. The newspapers always talk about high tech jobs but there is a huge need for the trades. It is amazing what is charged if you have someone come out to do a simple home repair.

Add me to the "losing" column.

We live in a consumerist society and most people look at price before quality, such as the way it is.

That being said, I do think there is a section of the young people who appreciate the arts. The have a feeling for craftsmanship, originality, inventiveness, etc.

I have three sons and only one has expressed any interest, that that's limited to scroll sawing, but I encourage him to it.

Sadly, it seems to be fading. I've observed the same things the guys observed in earlier posts. I definitely agree that the decline of woodworking in schools is a contributor.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My 2 cents.....

i think the there is a growing crafty/upcycle popularity in the under 40 crowd due to things like Pinterest. I've helped more friends make things in the last few years then the previous 10 years. They aren't woodworkers like we think of it but they are at least appreciating handmade things. The cost of entry is pretty high and I agree it takes some dedicated space. I shudder to think how much money I have invested in my shop and tools. For the amount of furniture, vanities, cabinets, trim, etc I kick out for the family I'm guessing this is a loosing financial position. But that's another topic.

our local woodcraft seems to be a busy place. At 41 I probably pull down the average age when I walk in but the last few years I have been seeing more younger (under 40) people in there. Not a lot of 20 something's but again, it takes some money to do this.

I wonder if SMC has the stats to see the average age of members now versus when the site first started. It would be neat to see the numbers. In the end, I don't really care if it is popular or not with the younger crowd. I like this hobby, my wife supports it because she gets nicer things and if those young kids (boy, now I sound old) want to play video games and buy crappy furniture at IKEA every 3 years then let them. Full disclosure, I like IKEA for some stuff for my kids. They are growing so some things are only temporary. They will get the good stuff when they are older.

My guess goes in the losing column. The hobby can prove expensive and younger folks seem to spend money on other things. When teaching at the college, it proved amazing how few of the students had any mechanical ability. Most couldn't even change a tire. Many didn't know what a screwdriver or pliers were.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    i think that it is losing popularity. In general, it appears that young people are doing less of mechanical things too. When I was a kid(that sounds strange), many boys wanted to fool with engines and cars and you see very little of that now and it is not really possible with car and small engines.

A lot of schools have also dropped shop programs. All of this is unfortunate as there is a real need for hands on people in all kinds of jobs. The newspapers always talk about high tech jobs but there is a huge need for the trades. It is amazing what is charged if you have someone come out to do a simple home repair.
    I don't know - as far as hands-on jobs there may be more interest going forward. It's very easy to outsource technology jobs plus most electronics manufacturing is not done in the U.S. The trades might not be 'glamorous' but it's not so easy to outsource plumbing, electrical, auto repair and the like. True about kids not working on cars and such but 'tuning' today seems as likely to involve modding a computer as a camshaft. As a hobby woodworking hasn't appealed to many young people. The requirements - space and for Normites not-so-easy-to-move machines - may not fit a young and somewhat nomadic young person's lifestyle. As we get older and somewhat settled that may change.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-05-2015 at 9:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't know - as far as hands-on jobs there may be more interest going forward. It's very easy to outsource technology jobs plus most electronics manufacturing is not done in the U.S. The trades might not be 'glamorous' but it's not so easy to outsource plumbing, electrical, auto repair and the like. True about kids not working on cars and such but 'tuning' today seems as likely to involve modding a computer as a camshaft. As a hobby woodworking hasn't appealed to many young people. The requirements - space and for Normites not-so-easy-to-move machines - may not fit a young and somewhat nomadic young person's lifestyle. As we get older and somewhat settled that may change.
    All good points Curt.

There is a definite upward trend in CNC woodworking, especially at the lower end of the market. What I have noticed on various forums is that owners are learning how to program them and make things. But they don't have complimentary traditional wood prep, joinery and finishing skills and their projects look amateurish. As users strive for professional results, I think more traditional woodworking skills will evolve.

There is an idea in the woodworking community that CNC routing isn't "real" woodworking and is contributing to the demise of traditional woodworking skills. I think the opposite is true, at least with some skills.

I work in IT, but I would love to work with my hands doing something meaningful rather than sitting at a computer all day. I do like my job and wouldn't mind doing it the rest of my life really. I would take probably a 50% pay cut to work in a trade at least at first. My people skills are terrible so dealing with the public would be hard for me. I could never be a tech that has to go to people's homes and try to sell them stuff they often don't really need. Tradespeople generally don't get the kind of time off and flexibility I have. I can take a day off about any time I want to if I have PTO remaining. Tradespeople often have to plan their two weeks off months in advance and they also often have to bid based on seniority.

I suspect it's more you getting older and noticing different things in your life. There never really has been a time when late teens to early thirties people were all that interested in manual arts hobbies. Yes, you an an idividual may have been intested in such craft but im talking about generally. Cars being the exception, I suspect because they're a great way to attacked girls or satisfy the adrenalin need of all young men. Where as a new hand plane does little to attracted the opposite sex or give that adrenalin high that can only be gotten from nearly killing ones self. Also, most don't have the space or the facilities to get involved... when you're older you have more cash, more room like a shed or garage, and a desire to do things with your hands again... I've been a rabid woodworker since I was 10. All my teachers simply left me alone to do as I pleased I was so obsessed with manual arts but when I hit my early twenties, apart from paid work I had no time left in a day to play with wood or any desire to. I was too busy getting pissed, chasing skirts or cheating death on my bike to be bothered with such nonsense. Come my mid thirties and partying being too hard on my body, a lack of desire to kill myself on a bike and having a wife I was back to making stuff with my hands again. And now in my early fifties and having divorced myself completely from the profession I like woodwork even more now.

It's one of the many cycles of life.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 04-05-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Who cares whether it is popular? I do woodworking because I love it, not because other people like it.