Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly G0771Hybrid Table Saw on it's way!

New Grizzly G0771Hybrid Table Saw on it's way!

I've been woodworking for about 15 years, but have really increased my interest over the last 3. I am extremly excited to have just made my first new tool purchase! All my previous machines were purchased used. As my skills have increased, I have gotten frustrated with the inability to dial in the accuracy on my benchtop table saw on my shop built table (one of my first projects). The original plan was to save for a Sawstop as I have an 8 year old son. However as it has been discussed in depth on this forum, the $2000 price tag for a contractor saw was just too much. Just having the riving knife and workable blade guard will be huge safety improvements for my shop. Put that together with good old fashioned safety practices and I will be good to go!

Had a little misunderstanng with UPS,so my delivery will be tomorrow, instead of last Friday. Ugh! I should be putting yogether my saw right now, not typing! I was able to swing Tuesday off work, so I should be up and running in no time!

Moving from this...

saw.jpg

To this...

saw = new.jpg
    I am a little concerned about the fence, but this is the best saw within my budget. I may just have to retro fit my Beismeyer off my old saw.

Congrats on the new saw. I'd definitely look to move the Biese fence to the new saw. Get it aligned and put a good blade on it....enjoy! There are very few of these in the field, so please be sure to post about your experience with it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I picked my G0771 up from the Bellingham warehouse on Friday. Mostly finished setting it up today. Pretty darn happy with it. I don't have much experience with the fence yet, but I may replace it later on. The one that came with the 715 is much better.

Looks like you made the most of your benchtop saw while you had it. I don't think I've seen a benchtop saw place so far back in a TS station before.

Congrats on the new saw!

that's funny! Yes, it only had about 4 inches in front of the blade to rest a piece of plywood on. It served its purpose well, but it was pretty uncomfortable performing some other functions on the saw after a while

QUOTE=Matt Day;2401278]Looks like you made the most of your benchtop saw while you had it. I don't think I've seen a benchtop saw place so far back in a TS station before.

Congrats on the new saw![/QUOTE]

I too look forward to hearing what you think of the G0771. What are your plans for your existing setup? That's a very nice looking saw station.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I too look forward to hearing what you think of the G0771. What are your plans for your existing setup? That's a very nice looking saw station.
    I ended upselling my old set up yesterday. I am going to miss the storage and extra worktable, but after having it gone my shop has so much more room!

The saw arrived Monday evening. I posted a seperate question about UPS delivery, and everyone here was right on. HTe drive pallet jacked it up to my garage (only about 40 feet), and helped me move it to it's assembly location with no gratuity accepted. The box was perfect without a scratch, and the saw was fine though transit. It took me about 3 hours to assemble, but probably a more experienced user less. The only difficult part was aligning the cast iron saw wings. My helper wasn't strong enough to hold the wings and not mechanically inclined enough to align them. Iam super busyat work so play time will be limited for the next few weeks. I was off yeserday and got to do a little.

Comments so far - Fit and finish are pretty solid except one of the bevels on the front of the cast iron table doesn't match up. I feel like I'm being super picky but it is what it is. One of the main reasons I bought this saw over the others was a cast iron table, and it is solid! I was suprised it came in three parts. I guess that's part of the hybrid definition. Not ever working with a true cabinet saw, I assumed the top would be one solid piece.

Assembly was pretty straight forward and the manual was fairly accurate.

The fence isn't a Bies, but I think it will work. The trick is you can't slide it from the handle. I found grabbing the middle of the fence and applying pressure from there works very well. I did lubricate the top of the table. It does lock down very tight and feels solid when in place.

Did some test and it is smooth. Saw runs quite and the cuts are great. Some quick tests showed it to be fairly accurate out of the box, but I need to spend some time double checking and dailing it in.

The dust collect port locaton is weird. You wouldthinkit would come out of the back of the saw? it comes out of the right hand side, which is opposite of my dust collector. This has caused a 180' curve in my pipng which is not ideal. Going to have to rework that.

The power cord was odd also. Too short (6' I believe) to reach a recepticale in my current set up without me have to unplug it every time I walk by. My old contrator saw was not a problem. I will now have to move a recepticle to the floor or purchase a longer cord replacement.

All in all VERY happy with the purchase. Shipping was less than a week. Price was good for the value and Ifeel like I upgraded 200%. I will ass more comments as I use it more, but as I mentioned witha tough 2 months of work coming up, who knows when. Thanks to all for your comments and reading. SMC has been a huge part of my growth as a woodworker, and any small contribution I can give back is great.

Pics would be great if you could add some...
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

IMAG1562.jpg

Bevels from previous post

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    <snip>
    The power cord was odd also. Too short (6' I believe) to reach a recepticale in my current set up without me have to unplug it every time I walk by. My old contrator saw was not a problem. I will now have to move a recepticle to the floor or purchase a longer cord replacement.
    Sounds like you have a keeper. A longer cord should be pretty simple. Pay attention to how the current cord is wired and do the same with the new one.

The dust collect port locaton is weird. You wouldthinkit would come out of the back of the saw? it comes out of the right hand side, which is opposite of my dust collector. This has caused a 180' curve in my pipng which is not ideal. Going to have to rework that.
    It's a personal thing. I know a lot of people that stated one of the decisions in buying the G0690 over the G1023RL was that the dust port on the G0690 came out on the right side. Both locations have pluses and minuses.

Looks like a nice saw. I not sure that I like the fence but I am a Beiesemeyer type of guy. Thats a highly personal choice also. I agree that is should be a 200% + upgrade. It should serve you well.

IMAG1562.jpg

Bevels from previous post
    You'll likely find that it's very common for the table to be beveled, and the wings not beveled at all. My General International and Shop Fox saws had no bevel on the wings. My Craftsman 22124 (by Steel City/Orion) did have beveled wings.

Looks great. Can you tell if the blade changes angle to the table at all as it is raised and lowered? That is apparently sometimes a problem with the Rigid saw, wondering if the Grizzly Hybrid has the same "disease".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Looks great. Can you tell if the blade changes angle to the table at all as it is raised and lowered? That is apparently sometimes a problem with the Rigid saw, wondering if the Grizzly Hybrid has the same "disease".
    I haven't gotten the chance to measure mine yet, but this saw has cabinet mounted trunions. The 715P had the table mounted trunions that suffered the same alignment issue as the Rigid/Craftsman saws.

I built a melamine wing that filled in the empty space next to the right wing last night. Didn't grab a photo, however. I still need to pick up a dust port adapter for it. I have to say that I don't really care for the blade guard it came with, though. I'll probably go sans-guard and just use the riving knife.

My photo is from this weekend after getting it assembled.

16860836160_3eae3c6fb4_z.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey Martel; 04-08-2015 at 12:04 PM.