Thread: Question: Can dye be added to wipe on poly?

Question: Can dye be added to wipe on poly?

Just want to add a bit of color. If so, can the dye be alcohol based as with Chestnut spirit stain
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Penetration of the dye will be reduced because the water based poly has sealed the pores somewhat. Might be better using something like MInWax PolyShades.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

IMHO, you'd do better to tone with dye added to shellac, then topcoating with poly. An alcohol based stain won't mix well with poly. Transtint, despite being called an alcohol-based stain, uses a more universal solvent, so it mixes better with oil-based products and lacquer than other strictly alcohol-based dyes.

I've never used Polyshades because it gets very bad press on this forum. I'd do some more research before using that product.

Transtint dyes will not mix with Minwax WOP. I am not sure of other dyes and/or other WOP brands. As Prashun has suggested, shellac will take Transtint very well, as will lacquer. With a light sanding with 1200, you can use WOP over either, so that might be something to consider.

I apply alcohol based dyes directly on the wood then wait a day and finish over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I apply alcohol based dyes directly on the wood then wait a day and finish over it.
    Ditto. I usually have some left over that I put in small airbrush paint bottles. It keeps for awhile, but not forever.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Applying dies can be tricky. If you want really deep, intense color, my thought is to go ahead and apply it directly to the wood, being absolutely sure you gotten it sanded perfectly because any flaws will jump out. However, if you want more subtle coloring in specific areas, I suggest airbrushing a small amount at a time. I prefer to use alcohol as a carrier.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Not on one of my turnings, but I recently had to "force" a small wooden table to match a very dark stained chair that my wife insisted be used next to the table. I could not find a proper stain to refinish the table, so I tried adding some black transtint to a container of Minwax Wipeon Polyshade walnut.

it actually mixed perfectly, and allowed me to put several coats on over the existing finish, until I got the depth of color that matched perfectly.

i would not hesitate to experiment like that again.