Thread: Alignment -- what are you using?

Alignment -- what are you using?

Hi Guys,
    I am putting together my Sawstop and soon I will need to check the blade alignment to the miter slot. On my old saw I did it with dial calipers. I was wondering what everyone is using to do their alignment. I have several dial indicators but the problem is getting something to run in the miter slot without any movement.
    Izzy

My tool of choice, Universal Base & 1" travel indicator:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I simply align with the slot. Now getting the slot aligned with the blade ... for that I use a dial indicator and a sliding base. Hopefully a "one-time" affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My tool of choice, Universal Base & 1" travel indicator:
    Bruce is there a rail or something you fit into the miter slot?

Blog Entries
    I use a shop made that matched the readings from a TS Aligner Jr. that a friend brought by. I like to get my machines as precise as possible and am willing to spend the money where required. This function just didn't require it ;-).

22124 Alingment 004.jpg . 22124 Alingment 005.jpg
    22124 Alingment 009.jpg . 22124 Alingment 012.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    +1 If you have one (any flat/parallel piece), slide the indicator base along the slide to measure from the side of the slot.

For a cheap check, take a combination square and slide it towards the blade, until the straight part of the head falls into the slot. Hold it in place and adjust the blade until it just touches a piece of carbide. Lock the blade in place. Slide the combination square until it is opposite the other side of the blade (if you started in the front of the blade, slide it back until you're at the back of the blade). Turn the blade until the same piece of carbide is in line with the blade. See if you're touching. Use feeler gauges to determine the difference on the short side.

This is so much easier to show with some pictures than to describe.

Mike

[Okay, I took a couple of pictures.]

BladeAdjustment01.jpgBladeAdjustment02.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-06-2015 at 5:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Izzy, this is a common machinist tool. There are 4 hardened pins that are movable with a friction fit, one in each corner of the base. In my example the 2 rear pins are pushed through and are protruding into the T-slot. You simply slide the base while keeping a light pressure on the pins against the wall of the slot.

Grizzly sells a cheap one for $16 that should work fine: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Surf...ges-4-7-/H2712
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Izzy, this is a common machinist tool. There are 4 hardened pins that are movable with a friction fit, one in each corner of the base. In my example the 2 rear pins are pushed through and are protruding into the T-slot. You simply slide the base while keeping a light pressure on the pins against the wall of the slot.

Grizzly sells a cheap one for $16 that should work fine: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Surf...ges-4-7-/H2712
    I've had one of these since 1960 when I was a Tool & Die Maker apprentice. Works great!

Blog Entries
    Hi Guys,
    I am putting together my Sawstop and soon I will need to check the blade alignment to the miter slot. On my old saw I did it with dial calipers. I was wondering what everyone is using to do their alignment. I have several dial indicators but the problem is getting something to run in the miter slot without any movement.
    Izzy
    I attach a block of wood to the miter gauge with screws and use a wood screw to attach my dial indicator to that block of wood. My miter bar fits tight in the slot. I get repeatable measurements.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute