Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One door closes, and another one opens........

One door closes, and another one opens........

Terribly played game by the MSU Spartans. Duke gets a nod for playing to their usual high standards, but we played awful. An exciting run came to a miserable, unfortunate end. I couldn't guarantee a win, but I expected a much more competetive game.

If you watched it, you saw Izzo on the sidelines pretty much expressionless most of the game - he wasn't screaming or storming the sidelines - he was just standing there watching a slow-motion train wreck in progress - had nuttin' he could say, and nuttin' he could do.

In other news:

Opening Day is a de facto holiday in Detroit. I have been to a number of those games. Even one where the foul poles were obscured by the snow flurries, and me sitting there in my thin-soled Italian loafers...........

David Price returns to his Cy Young performance level with an Opening Day complete game shutout over the Twins.

The Tigers are undefeated and unscored upon!! Hope springs eternal.

By me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, I don't care if I never get back.............

See you in the funny papers......

EDIT: Just went to the box score. Price did not get the final out, so he did not throw a complete game. My mistake.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 04-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I was sorry to to see Sparty go down that way. But at least the Badgers will represent the Big Ten in the final tonight.

— a Nittany Lion fan

Glad you are enjoying the efforts of Mr. Price. We miss him a lot down here.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Latshaw View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the efforts of Mr. Price. We miss him a lot down here.
    DIck - Dude..... You realize you are talking to the guy whose team coughed up both Fister and Scherzer to the Senators, right? At least they aren't in our League, much less our division.

And - Price was OK last year, but not lights out like he had been with you. Looks like we got him back in form - good for us. Tough for you.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I thought you were talking about some kind of automatic airlock entryway.........

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Terribly played game by the MSU Spartans. Duke gets a nod for playing to their usual high standards, but we played awful. An exciting run came to a miserable, unfortunate end. I couldn't guarantee a win, but I expected a much more competetive game.

If you watched it, you saw Izzo on the sidelines pretty much expressionless most of the game - he wasn't screaming or storming the sidelines - he was just standing there watching a slow-motion train wreck in progress - had nuttin' he could say, and nuttin' he could do.
    Well, Duke's big guys are awesome and if you don't have the players to stand up to 'em, well... And I don't know of any other team that runs such tight defense almost out to the half court line. Pure disruption in getting plays started. But, in that kind of game, you have got to hit the shots that you do get, and the Sparty's didn't do that.

But, and this isn't an excuse for the results of the game although I think it had an impact on how Izzo had to coach, I thought the officiating was horrible. Duke's big guy was throwing elbows to establish his post and not getting called. Then on any move down the lane, a foul would be called regardless if it was truly committed. Extremely inconsistent.

But the Big 10 was well represented this year. Makes those losses to Wisconsin and MSU a bit less painful.

But onward we go. Go Reds!! 1-0 already. Woo-hoo!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    And MSU's loss to Wisconsin.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The Tigers are undefeated and unscored upon!! Hope springs eternal.
    My Rockies are also doing just as well: Pounded the Brew Crew on the road 10-0 behind 7 innings of shutout ball by Kendrick, fresh from the Phillies.

I pray this is a long, healthy season for Tulo and Cargo but Arenado (3rd) and Dickerson (LF) may just surprise us all...I hope....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Go Mariners! (Season ticket holder when they were in the Kingdome). I miss Ichiro, Edgar, and Bone!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Welcome to the present, Shawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I thought you were talking about some kind of automatic airlock entryway.........

Very good Larry.

I have to say, though.....I think the long winter where you live - up above the Arctic Circle - has frozen some synapses. You'll be OK - the thaw will becoming shortly..................

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Welcome to the present, Shawn!
    Hey - he gets credit for not listing Junior, at least!!

2-0!!!

Annd.......The Tigers win 11-zip.

Still undefeated and unscored-upon.

Memories of the 35-5 start in 1984..............

DIck - Dude..... You realize you are talking to the guy whose team coughed up both Fister and Scherzer to the Senators, right? At least they aren't in our League, much less our division.

And - Price was OK last year, but not lights out like he had been with you. Looks like we got him back in form - good for us. Tough for you.
    Annd.......The Tigers win 11-zip.

Still undefeated and unscored-upon.

Memories of the 35-5 start in 1984..............
    On behalf of Indians fans BOOO!