Thread: Moving Paint Cans, etc.?

Moving Paint Cans, etc.?

Along with my other moving posts, I've noticed that pro movers will not handle anything like paint cans, oil, other flammables. Are they just being safe from an insurance standpoint, and can I move my normal garage stuff safely? Or will everything cook off in the hot enclosed Uhaul making a mess of everything?

Going on a long distance haul from Chicago to Tampa, probably over 2-days on the truck.

I wouldn't move anything like that, both due to the risk and the fact that most anything in this space is easily replaceable. Your movers are prohibited from carrying certain things and flamables are on that list. (so are explosives... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Professional movers will not willingly move paint, oil or pressurized containers of any sort. These things tend to make a real mess if they spring a leak inside the moving van. I believe there are several laws which prohibit them from transporting these things in moving vans.

Yes it is likely that the temperature inside the moving van is likely to get quite hot. Why tempt fate andjust get new paint and stuff when you arrive at your new destination or carry them in your car if you can't bear to part with them. Just leave the windows open if you stop anywhere.

If you are moving any appliances or electronics, make sure you physically turn them on and demonstrate the fact that they work to whomever is doing your packing so they don't mark the manifest "condition unknown". The will also routinely mark all furniture as scratched, dented and worn unless you make them do otherwise. This will lead to disputes when it arrives with additional damage or in non-working condition. Make them be specific about any existing damage on your stuff.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks, I'm probably going the DIY route. I've had one dresser almost ruined by pro movers dropping it. Had insurance, but it turned out to be BS with pennies on the real worth and hefty deductibles, many hoops to jump through, etc. I gave up and had to pay several hundred to get it repaired (before I had all my tools!).

What really stuck in my craw, was I tipped them and they left before my wife told me they dropped it and it made a cracking sound

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    Along with my other moving posts, I've noticed that pro movers will not handle anything like paint cans, oil, other flammables. Are they just being safe from an insurance standpoint, and can I move my normal garage stuff safely? Or will everything cook off in the hot enclosed Uhaul making a mess of everything?

Going on a long distance haul from Chicago to Tampa, probably over 2-days on the truck.
    Russ, It has to do with "HazMat" Regulations, and to my knowledge, household moving companies are normally not licensed for any "Placarded Loads". Note: Both the company, AND the Driver have to have a HazMat Endorsement on their Licenses, and the loads must be Placarded on Both sides, Front and rear of the Trailer with the appropriate category placard/placards appropriate to the "Material Content" in the load.

Depending on the quantity of the material you are referring to, you most likely would be "Cited" if you transport the material yourself, should there be any accident resulting in a spillage or fire during the trip, and most likely the insurance on the rental truck would be void should it burn, due to these materials being on board.

I would Strongly recommend that you just give it away or otherwise dispose of it before the trip, and replace it with new at your new location.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".