Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCMI Minimax delivered the wrong saw... What would you do?

SCMI Minimax delivered the wrong saw... What would you do?

A few years ago I started on the project of a dream woodshop and it is finally getting close. I had a Minimax multifunction machine and a dust collector (being delivered tomorrow actually) as the basic beginnings of a woodshop.

Back then I visited Sam Blasco's shop south of Austin to check out how a multifunction machine works and I was convinced it was the way I wanted to go. Took me another year or so to pull the trigger on a demo machine that came up for a good deal from Minimax. It was new but may have been to a show or something. I wanted the 8.5' slider as I felt I had the room for it and he already envisioned myself making tables, doors, and full height cabinets and bookshelves. So I ordered it. It came and with some incredible effort and assistance from a shipping company we got the gigantic and heavy crate into the garage. Took the box off and inspected it. It looked like it survived the trip from Italy well.

Then it sat for less than two years on its pallet in my woodshop. The machine was manufactured in 2014 probably closer to one year than two. Many times I wanted to unpack it, but it ended up taking a back seat to something or other. Amongst other things, we had a major remodel of our home done, my father passed away, etc.

Anyway, I finally get it off the pallet and unpack all the accessories. After discovering that the saw doesn't ship with a main blade, I order one and continue by inspections. The slider is shorter than I would have guessed, but I'm still not sure so I look up pictures on the Internet. At this point I contact Sam again and ask him about it. Turns out they shipped me the 5.5' sliding table version of the saw.

SCMI has replied that they will cover shipping of the saw back to them but are asking me to pay half the freight. They will send me the right machine and a new warranty as my old machine was actually out of warranty.

My problem with this was that I had to hire a shipping company to bring it to me from the airport freight terminal and this alone was $600. If I have to hire them to pick it up and deliver the new one the warranty is hardly any consolation. And I have to pay for half the freight.

I don't have much experience with these big machines and delivery and was hoping you guys would have some advice....

Somewhat sad way to spend my 45th birthday (today)!

Just so I understand. The crate was off, the machine inspected, but you didn't see that the sliding table was 3 feet short? Dave

If you do not take the deal, you will probably have the 5.5' slider the rest of your life. Personally, I think the company is giving you a very good deal. Pay the freight.

Yes, that's right. I really would not have figured it out until I got to this stage. It is a fairly complex machine and I'm not sure, not having any real experience with sliders, that I would have figured it out even if I unpacked it right away, until I got to the stage of playing with it and seeing how it worked, where I am now...

Thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking this is probably my best option too. I hope they will cover expenses to my door though.

Two years! Take the deal. They are being more than fair (IMHO).

5.5' and 8.5' slider is a huge difference. I am also very surprised that MiniMax did not figure out they shipped the wrong combo within 2 years until you called them.

I would do what you have to do to get the machine that you need.If you need a 8.5' slider,then send it back,you are too far invested in this to settle for something that won't meet your needs.You will regret it for a long time if you don't send it back and get the one you really need.

That's a tough one, sounds like your in quite a bind.

I think you kind of missed the boat (no pun intended) by waiting so long. I don't know much about sliders but I'm guessing the difference between a 5.5' and 8.5' would be pretty obvious? It seems fair that Minimax asked for half the shipping, but it's hard to hold them accountable for the extra rigging/shipping as well.

If it truly is your dream shop, I think you should pay for the shipping/rigging fees and get what you want.

Lesson learned, the hard way!

Agree with others that you should send it back. Given the amount of time that has passed I think Minimax offered you a very reasonable solution.

What did the paperwork say when paid? Did you pay for an 8.5' slider?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    What did the paperwork say when paid? Did you pay for an 8.5' slider?
    Doesn't sound like MM is contesting they screwed up. Issue is waiting over a year to identify it. Both parties here are at fault and both will take a bath. MM won't sell the machine for what they would have gotten a year ago and buyer will pay for not examining it sooner. Sounds fair. I can identify, done things that have cost me. Dave

The machine is still new. It still has the cosmolene sticky stuff on it. My job this week was to take it off. I think SCM will be able to resell it as new or at some discount. Prices for these are higher now than when I bought it. I did pay for an 8.5' slider, so there was no mixup on the paperwork. Sam checked that first off.

I'm thankful for all the advice. I guess they are being reasonable. I just hope I don't take a bath on the shipping. I already know I will be spending at least a few hours making a pallet for the saw to go back, and a couple more boxing up the accessories. I just threw those boxes out in the recycle trash. Just a few weeks ago I ripped up the pallet it came on. It was a bit beat up otherwise I would have salvaged some of the wood. Too bad I didn't have the sense to know that it wasn't the right saw a month ago, or better yet, a year ago.
    Last edited by Dipan Patel; 04-07-2015 at 12:52 AM.

I would chalk up the cost of the shared freight as the cost of not really inspective for 1-2 years later. Sounds like SCMI is being reasonable.

I don't know. They sent him the wrong saw. And a less expensive one, correct? They should swallow all of the costs of making it right.
    Paul