Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup Frustration

Sketchup Frustration

I tried Sketchup 3 years ago, got Bob Lang's DVD (viewed twice-even indexed it manually), and a bunch of books. I really knocked myself out.

Was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Like beating my head against a wall. Never was able to use it.

Got a special printer that used big, wide paper (HP-will not get another HP)

Is there an easier, softer way than Bob's DVD?

Back to pencil and paper.

I have considered the idea since, and thought maybe there is a better way to learn?

Thanks
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Can you be specific about what problem you're having? Maybe some live instruction would help. I can do that for you. I bet there's just one little hump to get you over and you'd be off and running. Drop me a PM if you would like my help.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 04-07-2015 at 9:39 AM.

To reinforce Dave's post, there are lots of experienced woodworking SketchUp users here (and on other forums) who love to help. Just post clearer descriptions of what you tried and how you got stymied and rest assured people will jump in to help.

I will attest to Dave's ability to make it look easy and understandable. I was in the same place as you and he got me headed in the right direction.

Thanks all, I will PM Dave and see what gives.

Frankly, what i dont recall much anything specific.....
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    David, I was right where you were and was on the verge of walking away from SketchUp as being too different for me to figure out. Dave Richards coached me a bit and there was a sudden ah-ha moment when I realized this wasn't CAD, Corel or Visio. I stopped trying to make it do what I knew how to do and started to use it for what it was. I am no super-user but, very little gets made today that hasn't been played with in SU first. For me it was getting my head around the fact that I am creating an OBJECT in a 3D SPACE, not drawing a 3D picture. After that it was all just details. Dave's DVD is excellent and I learned just as much from watching HOW he was doing things as I did from doing WHAT he was doing in the demos.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I stopped trying to make it do what I knew how to do and started to use it for what it was.
    That sounds like good advise that could be applied to other endeavors.

Thanks, Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    David, I was right where you were and was on the verge of walking away from SketchUp as being too different for me to figure out. Dave Richards coached me a bit and there was a sudden ah-ha moment when I realized this wasn't CAD, Corel or Visio. I stopped trying to make it do what I knew how to do and started to use it for what it was. I am no super-user but, very little gets made today that hasn't been played with in SU first. For me it was getting my head around the fact that I am creating an OBJECT in a 3D SPACE, not drawing a 3D picture. After that it was all just details. Dave's DVD is excellent and I learned just as much from watching HOW he was doing things as I did from doing WHAT he was doing in the demos.
    Thanks everyone,

I feel a lot better now about doing it again.

Dave R has been super helpful, and I plan to make contact with him again after re-orienting myself with the software.

Plus, I will duly report when my mental block has been overcome.
    David

I too made a run at using sketchup for woodworking. Starting a few years ago I bought books and watched videos trying to get the hang of it and then tried again a year ago with not much success. I Used and lived ACAD nearly every day at work for over 10 years until 2006 when I retired without much problem but had much frustration with sketchup. Objects kept getting tangled up and then I couldn't untangle them without wrecking other stuff. I went back to paper and pencil sketches. I am now thinking about trying again with something like cabinets again because I need a bunch of cabinets.

I just downloaded the 2012 DVD a few minutes ago but am not sure if that is where I should start. Do you think this is best place to start or is there something else to I should do first?

Bob,

Are you referring to the DVD I did for fine Woodworking? Or something else? In any case, I'll send you a PM.

One of the major things I learned in order to keep from screwing up my objects was to save them as a 'Component' and/or a 'Group.' The 'Make Unique' is also very useful. Now you can more easily use that object within the design. Hiding the groups or components is also very useful.

Here is a pool plumbing plan I've been working on. It contains 2" PVC pipes and elbows and tees along with Jandy check valves and 3-way valves. I drew those and saved them as 'components' which makes it easy to copy them and orient them and move them where I need. Once I had various valves set up, I would 'group' those components so that I could manipulate them as a group or even better, 'hide' them as a group so I could work on other stuff and not have them in the way. The pumps and filter and heater I just made as boxes with the basic dimensions but made sure the plumbing hook-ups were accurately placed. Those are all 'components' that are easy to move around. Even the floor and wall are components that I often hide. Since I'm cramming all my equipment into an 8x5 shed, I put in the walls to ensure everything will fit and to accurately place all the pipes heading to and from the pool.

pool-equipment1.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Is there an easier, softer way than Bob's DVD?

I'm not familiar with Bob's DVD, but I highly recommend the "SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers" DVD by Fine Woodworking. Sketch up was driving me crazy until I received that DVD as a present and it sure got me over the hump on the learning curve.

I recommend saving your file very often. That way if you screw it up, you can go back to just a few minutes ago and start over or try it again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I too made a run at using sketchup for woodworking. Starting a few years ago I bought books and watched videos trying to get the hang of it and then tried again a year ago with not much success. I Used and lived ACAD nearly every day at work for over 10 years until 2006 when I retired without much problem but had much frustration with sketchup. Objects kept getting tangled up and then I couldn't untangle them without wrecking other stuff. I went back to paper and pencil sketches. I am now thinking about trying again with something like cabinets again because I need a bunch of cabinets.

I just downloaded the 2012 DVD a few minutes ago but am not sure if that is where I should start. Do you think this is best place to start or is there something else to I should do first?
    People with background in CAD sometimes have difficulty adjusting their thinking to SketchUp, which should really be considered a 3D modeling program, not CAD in the traditional sense. There are various techniques and concepts that get embedded in your brain while using traditional CAD that simply are not the same as the way SketchUp works. So, try to study the DVDs with your mind wide open and practice doing things they way they show. It can be hard to let go of trained-in habits!

Comments including response from Mr. Richards have got me looking forward to making another go at it. I did watch Dave Richards DVD this morning and picked up some fundamentals (some of which have been mentioned above), and now think I have a better chance of keeping things from getting tangled up. Thanks

Dave Richards is very generous with his time to help SMC members and members at another woodworking website where I am a member. I have yet seen him deny helping anyone.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....