Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sketchup Frustration

Have you tried the following free site: http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com

It's what got me going. I use a combination of analog and digital for design tasks. I do my rough forms in a sketchbook, and refine the idea into isometrics on paper. It's not until I'm happy with the overall design that I turn to Sketchup. It's often just to get an idea of how everything will come together and to ensure that I don't run into any interference issues.

I'm actually writing a design series and will jump into Sketchup at some point: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/03...-introduction/
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I too made a run at using sketchup for woodworking. Starting a few years ago I bought books and watched videos trying to get the hang of it and then tried again a year ago with not much success. I Used and lived ACAD nearly every day at work for over 10 years until 2006 when I retired without much problem but had much frustration with sketchup. Objects kept getting tangled up and then I couldn't untangle them without wrecking other stuff. I went back to paper and pencil sketches. I am now thinking about trying again with something like cabinets again because I need a bunch of cabinets.

I just downloaded the 2012 DVD a few minutes ago but am not sure if that is where I should start. Do you think this is best place to start or is there something else to I should do first?
    I did the first couple of episodes out of 6-7 on Dave's DVD. Much, much easier than the one that Bob Lang did (a very knowledgeable fellow-I just don't learn as fast as he teaches). The latter just too much stuff to comprehend until you really need it. KISS.

Yes, the 2012 from Dave is the way to start.

that must be super frustrating if you were pro on CAD.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Have you tried the following free site: http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com

It's what got me going. I use a combination of analog and digital for design tasks. I do my rough forms in a sketchbook, and refine the idea into isometrics on paper. It's not until I'm happy with the overall design that I turn to Sketchup. It's often just to get an idea of how everything will come together and to ensure that I don't run into any interference issues.

I'm actually writing a design series and will jump into Sketchup at some point: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2015/03...-introduction/
    thanks Patrick-I saved that
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

No problem. Let me know if you have any input or questions regarding anything on the blog.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

David, it was great to chat with you. I hope we got all the printer issues out of the way and also helped clarify some of the drawing operations. We'll do more when you've got some drawing practice under your belt.

d

Thanks so much Dave R.

You are The Man!

Great teacher, and all that. Superb, really. And I been taught by a bunch of folks.

Your generosity is much appreciated.

I just finished the speaker boxes, and I'm fried after that intense 2.5 hours you spent with me earlier. Brain overload. But ever so useful. I'll get on it in the next few days.

Now, it's time for the deadly recliner.

Of course, I will post when I can crank out some meaningful drawings.
    David

Thank you, sir. It was most certainly my pleasure. I enjoyed the time.

Don't let yourself get overloaded but keep plugging away just the same. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your drawings.