Thread: Easy Dust Collector Hose swaps?

Easy Dust Collector Hose swaps?

My situation:

I should preface this by saying my goal is to try and have a cleaner shop, I know it's not a "healthy" shop, and I'm missing all the fines...

I have the HF DC. I have it piped with 4" PVC to the Table saw and Bandsaw in a semi-permanent installation.

I still need collection to the Jointer, Planer, and potentially the Router table.

I can't seem to work out the floor plan to orient the jointer and planer such that I can make a permanent setup, at this point it would be better if I had a hose that could be moved from tool to tool to collect from those 3 as I need them. I don't joint/plane every day... more like a couple times a month.

My questions:

What is the most efficient way you guys have found to move the collection hose? Or rather, Exactly what hose/connectors are the best for this?

If it were you, would you consider collecting the router table (Fence only for now) with the DC, or use a ShopVac/Separator combo?

Thank you for your time.

If the connection on the fence is 2.5 inches, I would use the shop vacuum. DCs move a lot of air but do not pull against resistance very well. I used my DC on my router table pulling from the cabinet the motor is in and the fence and never got good chip collection. I will try the shop vacuum on the fence next time I use it.

Both Rockler and Woodcraft sell a 4" quick disconnect hose to 4" O. D. dust collection fitting connector. I've got the Woodcraft version and it works well for me.

I have a box full of cheap black plastic 4" fittings that worked/fitted only so-so. I stumbled on the Fazlok quick connects at my local Woodworker's Supply and love them. They're not particularly cheap but they work better than anything I have found.
    http://woodworker.com/fazlok-2-12-ma...=&searchmode=2
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I just use one of these quick clamps to move my hose from one machine to the other as they're all mobile and have to be pulled out from the wall to use.http://www.axminster.co.uk/quick-rel...se-fixing-clip

What hoses should I be looking for? Does the rockler dust right "Retractable" hose work or is a gimmic?