Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any 15" planers that don't come off the same assembly line in China?

Are there any 15" planers that don't come off the same assembly line in China?

I own a Grizzly 15" planer, and I've been happy with it. If there was one, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it, but just out of curiosity I was looking to see if there are any European or USA made 15" planers. After looking around, I only found three other brands that make a consumer sized planer, General International, Jet, and Powermatic. I saw some other planer brands like MiniMax, but those are large commerical grade planers.

I think it's a well known fact, but I attached pictures anyway of Grizzly, General International, Powermatic, and Jet planers to show they're identical. The only difference I see is the color, access panels, electric panels, and type of head (byrd vs other). It actually makes me confused on why someone would buy a $3,000 Powermatic planer when the Grizzly one is $1,800. The Powermatic has a Shelix head that's made in the USA, but the Grizzly has a very similar helical head that's made in Europe.

Anyway, are there any brands of consumer size planers (not bench top) that aren't identical?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Blog Entries
    Although visually similar from a distance you will notice that the actual castings are different. While it may be true that some casting shop makes the parts for all (I am not saying this is so) the actual parts have different profiles. That is; the cutterhead housing on the Griz versus the General Intl is only basically similar. Fun for discussion though ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Castings can be graded and individual companies can use different standards to accept or reject. I don't know who does what but there can be differences to machines than look identical. Quality of the machining, bearings and motor come to mind. If you take a look at the Comatic feeders that almost everyone sources compared to the Comatic that are badged Wegoma, you can see real differences. Dave

I drive a dodge magnum wagon. My bil drives a dodge magnum wagon. His is blue. Mine is grey. I'm more certain than you regarding planers that both magnums came from the same assembly line. They must be identical ? The parts you can see on the outside are similarly shaped. Mine has a 350hp Hemi with AWD, traction control, power heated leather seats, Dolby surround sound.....his is pretty basic, stock 6, cloth interior. We both like our magnums.

My point is the assertion that all 15" planets are the same because they look the same even if it were verified that they are made by the same factory which to my knowledge has never been.....there is lots of stuff inside you can't see or compare without a tear down that is/may be different. Like the motor for instance. Lots of options there, from real good to cheap junk, even among TiawAn motors there is wide variation. Gears, springs, bearings.....lots of levels of quality.

i have had he opportunity to use a green 20" planer along side a gold 20" planer for some time now, and though they look similar in silhouette I'm here to tell you the performance is vastly different. The gold one plows through wood....the green one stalls much over heavy 1/32", slips, snipes. There hasn't been a good side by side comparison among brands of 15" planers in over 20 years, last time there was delta came out way ahead! They found many differences between springs, chip breakers, bearing tolerances, etc. But that's a long time ago. Still, until somebody does at least half scientific comparison again, the assertion that all apples taste the same is verging on silly in my mind.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I never realized the major differences, I have just heard in other threads they come off the same assembly line. I was also just assuming they come off the same line because they are designed very identically. However, I never really thought about internal parts. I knew the heads were different, but never thought of bearings and such. I probably sound like an idiot for making this thread, but I feel this can lead to a good discussion.

It makes me wonder as well why these things were never compared side to side. There's only four brands out there as far as I know, so that sort of test really wouldn't be too hard to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Yadfar View Post
    ...I was looking to see if there are any European or USA made 15" planers... I saw some other planer brands like MiniMax, but those are large commerical grade planers...
    Minimax manufactures a 16" dedicated planer that is available with a 1-phase motor, called the S41 Elite-S (referred to as Tecnomax in years past). The Elite line is sold quite a bit to hobbyists as well as small shops. I don't ordinarily bring this particular machine into the US for two reasons...

1.) So many made-in-Asia alternatives that it will never be able to compete with price-wise.
    2.) The price of the S41 Elite-S is not that much less than the FS41 Elite, which we do sell a lot of.

...but certainly could bring them in if folks wanted it. Though, pro shops typically want at least a 20" machine and the hobby market has been dominated by the Asian machines, so the demand has just not historically been there. But they do sell well in other parts of the world.

Erik
    S41ES.jpg
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, with the # of people here expressing a dislike of anything Asian, I'd consider at least featuring the planers on your website with a banner that reads "Available for special order."

What is the old adage? Something like, "they don't sell them because they don't have them, and they don't have them because they don't sell them."

In your case, it would have to read "they don't sell them because nobody knew they could get them."

You have an excellent point, Phil. The only issue with that would be that it meant the Italians would actually have to do some work and spend some money on the marketing side of things and hey, why break tradition now?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    You have an excellent point, Phil. The only issue with that would be that it meant the Italians would actually have to do some work and spend some money on the marketing side of things and hey, why break tradition now?

Erik
    Is Minimax USA owned by the factory in Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Is Minimax USA owned by the factory in Italy?
    Yes, Phil.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Yes, Phil.

Erik
    Ahhh!

I didn't know that.

Carry on.

Sure there are.

Erik gave you a MiniMax model. here's the Hammer model which happens to be on sale in the USA at present.
    Planer.jpg

Do you want a planer only or a combination jointer/planer?

I have the combination, great cost and space savings...........Regards, Rod.

Some things that go into price are: middle man markup, warranty length, shipping, name recognition, and volume discounts to name a few. The PM is not 2x the tool as the Grizzly despite the price tag. Jet/PM have increased in price by 33% in the last 6 years while Grizzly around 14%. Something is worth what somebody is willing pay. You can't have a legit discussion unless you know what the actual cost each company purchases them for. I'm not saying there aren't differences, just that it is not nearly as much as people want you to think. If you are going to pay PM prices you might as well go European.

Well they're not 15", but there is the 12" and 18" Woodmaster models.

I'm with Cary on this. I don't see how anyone could reasonably justify buying a PM over a Griz. Just buy some gold spray paint if you like the color that much.