Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumped off the deep end

Jumped off the deep end

Ok, so I'm not a real big hand tool guy but they definitely have their spot, And when I saw this https://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/m...0407/BP9793/10 I couldn't pass it up. Coming from a school they've probably seen their share of abuse, but hopefully I can pick the cream of the crop to get me set up better for hand tooling and still come out ahead. Will post more pics after I get everything sorted out. This is like Christmas!!!!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Yer in it neck deep now, brudda.

Good luck, and have fun.

Gave me a double-take - McPherson is where I was born..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nice. Very nice.

Blog Entries
    They wouldn't stay in Kansas if I were to have a crack at them.

Looks like a lot of useable tools in that pile.

Show us some pics of what you get to bring home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"It's only just begun"..........
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Holy. Crap. You lucky dog, you!

Blog Entries
    Saw files! Stat!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It appears several of the irons and caps are gone... seems like used parts are fairly available. Just noticed the description said "sanding blocks" were they referring to the planes????!!! Seller is asking if next week works for pickup.... "Well not really!!!" Hopefully I can get my hands on them sooner than that!

So I was finally able to pick up the stuff today. Yes!!! Now to sort everything out....

IMG_0920s.jpgIMG_0924s.jpgIMG_0928s.jpgIMG_0929s.jpgIMG_0931s.jpgIMG_0932s.jpgIMG_0933s.jpgIMG_0934s.jpg

IMG_0935s.jpg

Oh and I also got a couple braces. So....some of these things have seen better days, but i think most of it should clean up nice. It looks like a lot of the iron caps and blades have been switch around, also someone was very hand with a power drill The first pic of saws are all Diston, mostly D-23 and D-8. Second pic as a Stanley SH miter saw I believe. Questions. Do they still make corrugated soles or is that "older" tec? On the blades is there a way to tell which model they may have gone to? When selling do most people prefer to clean up their own plane( will I get more if I clean them up and resharpen, then sell?) Open to any advice/suggestions! Jess

I'm disappointed. Harold never posted the "You Suck!" congratulations

You'll be busy with this haul for a little while. I'll bet there are some real gems in there. Maybe some nice sanding block as well!
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Just send me what ya don't want. You are a tool "PIG".
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I'm really liking that long miter saw. Very nice haul ya got there. Lots of good stuff.

Blog Entries
    On the blades is there a way to tell which model they may have gone to? When selling do most people prefer to clean up their own plane( will I get more if I clean them up and resharpen, then sell?) Open to any advice/suggestions! Jess
    Here is a place to tell you the blade's period of manufacture:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

You will not make much if anything for doing the cleaning. If you do find an gem of a plane it might be worth a clean if it will garner collector interest. Still some my prefer to do their own clean up to look at what kind of wood is under the hood.

Your best bet for selling is to have clear pictures of all the interest points. Clearly show any damage and describe it the best you can.

When I was looking for planes my favorite pictures were a clear shot of behind the frog to see adjustment screws and patent dates. Clear image of the back of the blade, cap iron and lever cap to see if there was any damage, pitting or rust.

A close up of the mouth and a shot of the sole are also helpful for buyers looking for a solid user.

Clear shots of the tote and knob. I tended to shoot the bad side or all sides. The area around the toe was also of interest to me since most of mine have been converted to low knobs.

One good reason for giving the blades a honing would be to include shavings in the picture taken from the actual plane. This would assure folks who are looking for a good user. Some people do not worry about type as much as they want something that is going to work for them right away. Of course most of them would likely take some shaving as is and let the buyer do all the work.

Maybe a mix of some you have tuned and some "as is."

You might want to check them all to keep the best for yourself.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Another couple questions.... I'm trying to find info on the big corrugated plane which has the De0b inside a diamond. Also almost all the #5s have what looks to be stainless caps, is this right? There's one corrugated bailey & one corrugated stanley USA, and two of the Diamond Edge as well. I sharpened one of the Stanley scrapers and man that thing works nice! Never used one of those before.