Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bleaching weathered wood before engraving?

OK there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what she's trying to do, some here thinks shes trying to age wood and others think she's trying to remove the natural color. Its my understanding she has very weathered wood and is trying to get some of the natural color back, not age it more and not remover the natural color, but to get back some of the natural color the weather has taken away. If it pine barn board household bleach will do the job, the strength may vary some , you might need a stronger mix then 1/3 2/3 but if its pine it will work. If its some type of hard wood like oak or birch I don't know if it would work or not. Pine is softwood with a porous grain and bleach will lighten it right up. Sorry Matt no pictures as the cabins in NH I'm in AZ and I did it years ago, and I have no weathered pine out here, mesquite I have but its very hard don't think bleach will work on mesquite.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I like Bill's suggestion the best.

Here are a few I've made with an acrylic overlay for contrast:

Matt, I love those signs! For some reason I have never thought to mount acrylic on the boards! They look great!
    Bert, the bleach worked like a charm! Cheap and easy.
    400W Kern HSE Laser System

Quote Originally Posted by ALISHA HILSENDAGER View Post
    Matt, I love those signs! For some reason I have never thought to mount acrylic on the boards! They look great!
    Thank you.

Also, appreciate you sharing your results.

Glad it worked for you, so many didn't think it would but It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ALISHA HILSENDAGER View Post
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander