Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for 6" fittings for dust collection

Source for 6" fittings for dust collection

I am going crazy trying to find 6" hose fittings for my dust collection. All the sites I have checked tend to stop at 4". even those that sell 6" hose! Web searches have not helped.

I'm setting up my new Grizzly G1066Z double drum sander. I expect this to put out a huge amount of dust. It has two 4" hose connectors directly above the drums. I have a 5hp central vac with 6" tubes running to several wall ports. I have connected a 6" to two 4" "Y" using 1' of 4" hose for each port of the sander. Now I need to connect the 6" hose to the 6-4/4 "Y". the 6" hose appears to be the same ID/OD as the "Y". I think a 6" union is what I need, but can't find one.

Any help finding a solution to connecting a 6" hose to the "Y" would be appreciated.

Check this site out:

http://www.airhand.com/products/tees...ches/y-branch/

I linked you to the page for Y branches but do look around the site for the fittings you need.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Malco-C5XXX-Pi.../dp/B0002895EW

Can also try Blast Gate Co. if you'd prefer to use pipe connectors: http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Thanks to both of you. I was hoping to stay with plastic, but both of these metal fitting companies may have a solution for me. I have identified a couple of possible parts and submitted e-mail questions asking if I have the right one(s) or suggestions for the correct one(s).

You're welcome.

I had no problems getting PVC 6" fittings - the issue for me was the cost. 6" fittings are only available in my area in schedule 40 and they are spendy - I can get lightweight 6" pipe for about 11$ for a 10' section but a single fitting cost me > 45$.

you can get it on line cheaper if you plan ahead (i don't do that well) - places like this http://pvcpipesupplies.com/pvc-fitti...ectionsize=315 are pretty easy to find

The appropriate fittings for PVC ductwork are all thinwall sewer and drain pipe (ASTM D-2729 or D-3034), which are much less expensive that schedule 40 fittings.
    Back east, we find fittings in the landscape drainage section of Lowe's stores and sometimes at Home Depot. If you cannot find them there, check any large plumbing supply house or yo can order them from McMaster-Carr (here's a link). Another good fitting for small bends or using as a mismatched piping adapter comes from the Fernco fittings family.

I used McMaster......

Underground Sewer and
    Drain White PVC Pipe Fittings

With thinner walls than Schedule 40 fittings, these are lighter in weight and have more space on the inside for greater flow. Also known as SDR 35, they are commonly used underground for gravity-flow sewer and drain applications, but can be used above ground as well. They are made of PVC, which is strong and corrosion resistant. Fittings meet ASTM D2729 and D3034.Connections: Unthreaded socket end (female) or threaded(NPT). Connect unthreaded fittings to pipe using a PVC primer and cement.For technical drawings and 3-D models, click on a part number.
    Wyes, Female Unthreaded Socket Ends

Actual
    ID
    Trade
    Size
    Each
    6.275" 6 9102K186 $24.30

any luck with your emails?

Blog Entries
    USP Corp has many items including a coupler if that will do.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-13-2016 at 9:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Ron:

I ordered all my pipe and fittings from Spiral manufacturing in Wisconsin (I'm in CT). I'm happy with the advice, price, service and they accepted returns on parts I ordered but found weren't required. Almost every connection found in the page below can be ordered in any size configuration. The product is exceptionally robust.

http://www.spiralmfg.com/prod.htm
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Another vote for McMaster Carr, once you figure out how to use the site.

Note that they won't tell you what the shipping cost is at checkout... but i've found the shipping costs are always reasonable.

If you decide to go with metal, check with your local Ace hardware. There is one nearby that stocks 26 gauge fittings and 2' lengths of 26 gauge snaplock pipe. If you talked to them, maybe you could have them order 5' lengths of pipe, and the fittings you need that they do not stock. I have had the store order other things they did not stock, although they usually have the fitting or 2 needed to make changes to my dust system. Their prices are right on the 26 gauge.

McMaster sells a wide range of fit type and materials. Generally, their "spiral" line states it is 24 gauge in galvanized. The price seems quite competitive.

Spiral Manufacturing's standard line of the same product type is 20 gauge for the fittings and 24 gauge for the pipe. Spiral does offer the feature of making any fitting end male or female, which may offer more flexibility when designing runs. It also addresses your specific problem which is transitioning and getting exactly the right size.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius