Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model 10 Deluxe Radial Arm Saw (Model 33-990)

1. Matt,
    I'd pass on that Delta model. If you want a later model Delta, go for the 12" model. The one that Norm used in his "New Yankee Workshop" The model number escapes me at the moment. Very nice saw in comparison. You are better off gong vintage though. I understand about time constraints, but if it is worth doing, better to do it right the first time. I picked up my 10" Delta 30C mid fifties model for $200 in full working order. It has major cast iron in it. I restored mine though since the paint was yucked up. The early to mid 50s DeWalts, MBFs and GWIs are great saws and general show up often for reasonable money. Here are the before and after shots of mine.
    1.jpg101.jpg

Most problems with a radial arm saw are because the saw isn't propertly tuned. Jon Eakes book, Fine Tuning a Radial Arm Saw, is an excellent resource that describes how to tune Delta, DeWalt and Craftsman radial arm saws. The book is available on line through his website. Eakes explains that contrary to popular belief, all three of these saws can be repeatedly returned to 90 degrees provided the operator understands a few basic principals on how to use the saw. I wish I had read his book when I still owned my Craftsman RAS because I would have saved myself a lot of grief and may not have given the saw away. Since then, I have restored and sold two 50's vintage DeWalt MBF's and a DeWalt GWI, and am just finishing up another GWI that I plan to keep.

As for the saw in question, the asking price is about right considering the Forrest blade.

What about this DeWalt model? Anyone know anything about it? What is the model? Specs? Worth restoring?
    Last edited by Matt Hardy; 04-14-2015 at 7:24 PM.

Looks like a Powershop maybe? I have a similar saw and i think the rule of thumb is that if the height adjuster is in the back of the saw its a worthy saw. In later models they moved it to the center along with some other things that made it less desirable.
    As far as restoring, personally I wouldn't spend my time doing so. I'd give it a thorough tuning and use it.

It looks like it needs a new top because the fence is too far back. The blade should be behind the fence. I'd just give it a new top and a tune-up.

If I were choosing between that and the Delta, I would take the Delta. Much better cared for.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I ended up going with the Delta and it has been great. It was in almost new condition, cut well and strait and it fits well into what I will be doing. That said, just yesterday some new DeWalt options came up locally.

These two for $150 each:

And this monster 16 inch for $100:

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Weaver View Post
    Matt,
    I'd pass on that Delta model. If you want a later model Delta, go for the 12" model. The one that Norm used in his "New Yankee Workshop" The model number escapes me at the moment. Very nice saw in comparison.
    Norm's was a Delta 33-890.
    ~Garth

and of course you bought all 3 right?

Into the abyss we go..........
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Nope...too many other toys to purchase so I showed self constraint and passed. Someone in Utah really needs to buy that 16 inch and restore it.