Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which glue roller?

Which glue roller?

What a classic.....when I had my massive junk throwout, I ran across three different glue rollers that I have never used. I threw them all out. $30 gone.

Now, for the outfeed table I might eventually build, contact cement is required to put down the laminate.

What glue roller do you all use for contact cement? I normally used a small throw away brush, but this surface is 2x3 feet.

How about I have lots of those HF little 4" yellow plastic spatula/scraper things...if I make some notches in the edge, that should be OK, plus I just throw it out, instead of cleaning.

What you all think?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

For contact cement I have always used a roller that looks like it has burber carpet. That is the best way I can describe it. It has hard nubs instead of the standard paint roller fuzz. I'm pretty you can get them at the BORG.

I use the four inch foam rollers they sell everywhere, I also buy a disposable roller pan. I use the same set up for wood glue when doing laminations.

I use disposable foam roller covers. I use 4" wide ones and 12" wide ones. Or buy the super cheap disposable foam rollers. All available at the big box stores.

As mentioned by Cary, a contact cement roller is ideal: http://www.amazon.com/Contact-Adhesi...+cement+roller

I cut them slightly oversize for a 3" roller cage to get 2 from each 7" roller nap or exactly 3" to get 3 from a 9" roller. The nap is reusable with contact cement. Just allow it to dry clean and use it again. Look around and you might find them cheaper.

For any type adhesive I use adhesive rollers I get at Home Depot. The look kind of like velcro
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I just completed 3 counter tops for my shop. I actually used a wide plastic putty knife to spread the majority of the cement. Then, finished edges with thin nap roller and brush. It actually went a little faster without rolling a crap load of cement over the edge.

I use those cheap-o 3" throw away rollers with the plastic handle and super-short nap, cost about a buck-two-eighty. Use once and in the trash.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I use roller made for contact cement. I prefer the gel contact cement over the standard kind. Spray adhesive is very competitive on small projects.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    As mentioned by Cary, a contact cement roller is ideal: http://www.amazon.com/Contact-Adhesi...+cement+roller

I cut them slightly oversize for a 3" roller cage to get 2 from each 7" roller nap or exactly 3" to get 3 from a 9" roller. The nap is reusable with contact cement. Just allow it to dry clean and use it again. Look around and you might find them cheaper.
    What handle do you use with that one please?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Sounds like disposable roller the way to go.
    David

I hate to hear about all the "use it once and trash it" items so I would try to find something that you can use more than once.

I use this one for laying out glue for veneering and also this one. Both can be cleaned and reused if you know the solvent that will clean up the glue type (water or acetone or alcohol or whatever).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post

Excellent! I may have to add one of these to my arsenal.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    What handle do you use with that one please?
    David,

This style of roller cage: http://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-...ch+roller+cage

I use these for epoxy work too, fiberglass/epoxy on my boat project. I cover the roller cage and end with plastic wrap and then put the nap tube over it. Keeps the cage cleaner and easier to get the nap off afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I hate to hear about all the "use it once and trash it" items so I would try to find something that you can use more than once.

I use this one for laying out glue for veneering and also this one. Both can be cleaned and reused if you know the solvent that will clean up the glue type (water or acetone or alcohol or whatever).
    Thank Chris, looks like I didn't trash them all, I have the first one above somewhere--have never used it.
    David