Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a single tooth worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hansen View Post
    Grow a moustache. Can't see the missing teeth. Lot cheaper.
    It's hard to eat chicken gizzards with that moustache!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It's hard to eat chicken gizzards with that moustache!
    Gizzards, huh? I knew there had to be a reason I liked you. Gizzards is it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Well, after just having an implant done, it can get expensive. Mine was a front tooth, needed a bone graft first. The whole thing ended taking almost a year and 6,500 $ for it all. That did include having them put me to sleep for two of my appointments for the bone grafts, I'm a big sissy when it comes to the dentist. Sure wish I had dental insurance
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I had two implants done at once on side by side locations. One tooth had been pulled 2 or 3 years previously, the other was a poorly done crown on a root canal that continued to decay but did so painlessly until that tooth was "non-restorable" in dentist terminology. Bottom line was dentist did both implants the same day, but used different types of implants. For the long missing tooth where he bone had filled in by itself, he drilled a hole and put it in, for the newly removed tooth, he used an implant in the shape of the tooth root that nearly filled the gap perfectly. Both had to heal for 3 months before he fitted me with crowns on them. Then I tried to spit them out thinking a had a small stone in my month for almost a year before I got used to them. Overall though glad I had it done. My mother had partials and absolutely hated them and told me over and over to avoid them at any cost. Guess each person if different and will prefer different solutions.

If you guys are in need of serious dental work, it might pay to fly into Wichita, and have it done there. My local dentist charges 3 times as much as they do in Wichita. My aunt got a bridge at Central Street Dentistry, and then showed it to the local dentist when she had her teeth cleaned. They advertise implants, and I was aware of someone who went there to get all their teeth pulled and get dentures. My neighbor had his teeth pulled, and with 4 implants to hold his dentures in place, the bill is locally over 30K, he wishes he had heard about Wichita earlier.

Another alternative is to find out if there are nearby dental schools. Often you can get the work done there for next to nothing or nothing. My youngest son actually paid the expenses for some of his patients when he was in dental school because they couldn't afford to pay it and for school requirements, he needed to perform the specific procedures they needed. All dental students are under direct supervision of dentists who are professors. Dental students paying for patients dental work is quite common. My sister needed some crowns and called me. She found a local dental school at a nearby university and it was quite a bit cheaper.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....